1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Oulook 2003 Personal folders

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by georgie_bouy, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgie_bouy

georgie_bouy Thread Starter

Case history

A laptop with 64 bit Vista home running Outlook 2003 working perfectly fine. The PC is formated and upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The user had about 70 personal folders opened in his outlook prior to the upgrade. After the upgrade, Office 2003 was installed and Outlook was configured with 23 personal folders that were also opened.

The problem

Upon opening Outlook, it gives a message that the ost file is in use. Thereafter, some of the personal folders (at random) cannot be opened. Message says it cannot be opened, contact administrator. This however his not consistent. Once I have exited Outlook and restarted it again, other folders open up while some don't.

Observation

I initially installed Office 2003 in the default folder (Program Files\ X(86) folder and assumed that was the problem with Outlook looking for the ost file in the \program files instead of the folder where it was installed. I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it in the \program files folder. Still the same result. At times, it works fine and I can open all the personal folders and messages which I find strange.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

There isn't much we can actually help with, as this is your Exchange Server administrator's issue(s). The file conversion from 2003 to 2007 (and vice versa) is not a straightforward copy/paste. You should be using the import/export under the File menu. Or since you're using Exchange Server, have your mail administrator do it for you. I hope you kept a backup??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/818569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice