1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook 2000 reinstall problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by userplr, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. userplr

userplr Thread Starter

I am trying to uninstall and reinstall microsoft outlook 2000. I want to be able to start up outlook with no user information in it...no contacts, no calendar entries, no mail accounts etc.
    I am able to uninstall (and reboot) and have run Eraser2000 (from the ms website) to clean the registry....but everytime I reinstall from my disks and restart outlook, all the user data is still there.

I am trying to figure out how to reset the software back to the first time it was loaded and start from scratch. I can't find the files MS stores the user data in to delete. I have tried to delete a bunch of other stuff MS recommends in a tech note, but all those folders say they are locked by another user when I try to delete.

The real reason I am doing this is I use the sharing (Net Folders) feature of outlook 2000 to run one calendar on 2 PCs. I have had this working for 2 years, but outlook recently started crashing on the master PC. I am trying to get the sharing working again but have not been able to. So, I figure the best way to get it working again is to reinstall and start from scratch, but I am not able to start from scratch.

I can reinstall with the old data coming up, start up file sharing like it is supposed to do, but it never starts sending the email messages to synch up the 2 calendars.

So, any thoughts on how to find the outlook data files and remove them or how to get my calendar sharing working again would be appreciated.

One suggestion I received was to reinstall the entire computer image on the master PC....But it is 6 year old running windows 2000 with so much other stuff on it, reformatting the entire PC to solve this problem is overkill and too painful to comprehend.

Thanks in advance.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

cleaner eraser/removal utilities don't usually do all you'd like in the way of removing all traces of programs/apps.

i use the search function to remove all of "whatever" and do the same thru regedit/edit/find until everything is gone, reboot/reinstall the app.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The specific location where Outlook2000 stores information regarding your e-mail account is under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\OMI Account Manager\Accounts

Also look for a similar location under
    HKEY_USERS

As far as the location of the actual PST file, it depends on the operating system but that should be in the registry location as well.

4. userplr

userplr Thread Starter

Thanks for the help

Can I just go into the registry and delete all the "OFFICE" folder and all sub folders?

Any idea how to search for the .pst files in the registry?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That should work.

As far as the data file, simply search the computer for any PST files you want to delete and remove them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice