1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wizzle2003, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wizzle2003

wizzle2003 Thread Starter

Hi,
    does anyone know how to get rid off the containging HTML text in a email?
    I would like to forward an email to a friend of mine but it contains tons of html-code.
    I want to send *Text only*

Thanks
    wizzle2003

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You should be able to change the forwarded message to plain text before sending it. The drop down "Format" menu in the message composition screen should have "Plain text" option.

3. wizzle2003

Hi,
    I changed it from HTML to plain text but the html code is still there. How do i go from here?

Thanks
    wizzlw2003

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you forwarding the message as an attachment or inline as part of your new message. The original message probably does not convert to plain text if it is forwarded as an attachment.

5. wizzle2003

it's a part of my new message. (no attachement)

wizzle2003

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Outlook can't convert an HTML message into plain text. Instead, the result is HTML code. If the e-mail contains text (albeit in HTML format), you could try copying and pasting the text into notepad to remove the formatting and the copy and paste that back to a new message.

7. wizzle2003

hi,
    what good does it doo if i copy the whole contents into notepad and then from there back? It does't change anything (and why should it) :)

Thanks
    wizzle2003

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The Outlook 2003 Help file and I beg to differ, or I am missing something obvious the meaning of HTML and plaint ext formatting.

I just tested this in Outlook 2003 using a few different e-mail accounts ...

1) I created an HTML formatted e-mail message using different fonts, font sizes and character colors. Using Account #1, I sent it to myself at Account #2.

2) I received the HTML formatted message on Account #2 and the message had all the HTML formatted text. When I clicked on "View Source" I was able to see all of MS's bloated HTML tags in the message

3) I chose to forward the test message as inline (my default setting). This opened a new HTML composition screen that included the original message with all of the HTML formatting.

3) I selected Format -> Plain text and got a confirmation pop-up asking me to confirm the loss of all text formatting. I clicked "Yes".

4) All of the text in my composition screen turned into black Courier font (my default).

3) I then forwarded the message to a third account.

4) I received the message on the third account and could see all of the text in my default Courier font. There was no "View Source" option available as there was for the original HTML message.

Attached Files:

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Good find, cwwazniak.

wizzle2003, it looks like cwwazniak has the solution for you.

To answer your question regarding copying and pasting to Notepad and back, this procedure removes HTML tags. You can try it right here on this forum. Take this post, copy it to Notepad, and then copy it to an e-mail message or Word. You'll find that it contains no HTML tags. This is in contrast to viewing the source of this web page where you'll find HTML formatting tags.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice