1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mayerschreiber, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mayerschreiber

mayerschreiber Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm using Thunderbird mail and download my mail via IMAP, This has got a great advantage as I can access my emails on my iPhone and iPad.

So I switched my Dad to IMAP too. He is using Outlook 2010 and it works great however the problem is that when moving a mail from the inbox to a folder in Outlook 2010 it takes a bout 5 -7 seconds to move (looks like it communicates with the server while you wait) and by POP it takes less then a second. Is there any solution for this?

Because by Thunderbird it takes the same amount of time, no matter if you use POP or IMAP.

Your assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your answers!

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

How did you "switched my Dad to IMAP" ?

Is his email provider a POP type of provider?

What is his domain (email Provider)?

4. mayerschreiber

I disabled his old POP account and added a new IMAP account.

He is using Google Apps, email service provided by Gmail.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

Just how did you do this disabling?

The new account is with Gmail, but who was the old pop account with?

6. mayerschreiber

Also Gmail. I removed password and deselected the account from send and receive.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

So he has two gmail accounts one active and one disabled?

The speed difference is most likely just what you have suggested. Moving a file from one folder to another in a pop account, is faster because the file is already downloaded and on your local drive. But using IMAP you have a link to the server and then you are copying the file to a different folder from the server.

Is this new account set up per http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17248/set-up-gmail-imap-in-outlook-2010/ ?

8. mayerschreiber

But on my Thunderbird mail program it doesn't take any longer. POP and IMAP takes the same time.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

But is your Thunderbird copying or linking to the emails when in the "inbox" folder?

10. mayerschreiber

Even when I move it, it takes less then a second.
    There must be some problem with outlook, cause it doesn't make sense that everyone with outlook waits 5 secs. per email, and I have got high speed internet access.

Thanks

11. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

It is going to be slower, it is the nature of the beast. Synchronizing selected IMAP folders may help alot. Right Click on the IMAP Account folder, select IMAP folders. Query, and you'll see a list of the synched folders. Select the Subscribed tab and unsubscribe from synching what you really do not need synched. Trash and Junk cannot be excluded, but you can subscribe and unsubscribe whatever until you find a combination that suits you. It will still be slower, but it will be faster slower.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108489