1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook Gone Dead

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by m_memories, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m_memories

m_memories Thread Starter

My Outlook program somehow went "dead" a couple months ago. I have been using the Internet mail in its place but that is rather cumbersome and I am wondering if anyone could help me get Outlook working again. The send/receive button is gone. The rest of the program (calendar, notes, etc.) still work, but the program will not receive or send mail. Outlook Express is available and works, however, it removes all attachments to email messages automatically, calling them "potentially dangerous."

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

A quick method is to hit ctrl + enter to send.

but to get the button back, you might try doing

open outlook, go to the help on the top bar, detect and repair.

And the big question, where is it gone from, there are several places for it in outlook, you probably just have a toolbar turned off in one of them

3. m_memories

The detect and repair process reported:
    the facility you are trying to use is on a volume that is unavailable.

It is looking for the following:
    \\Server01\C\Source\Office2000\data1.msi

which I searched for and is not on my computer.

What this all means I don't know. Is it possible that my Outlook program "timed out" and automatically shut down? I used Outlook for eight years before this happened.

4. srhoades

srhoades

OK, so your office or at least outlook was installed from your/a company network. If you are now using this computer at home, you are no longer covered under the license. So unless you have your own copy of office, we can't help you.

5. m_memories

OK, thanks for that information on Outlook. Much appreciated.
    Concerning Outlook Express, is there any way to stop it from automatically removing almost all my email attachments? I have McAfee email protection, so I don't need Outlook Express to automatically delete these attachments. This is forcing me to use the Internet for receiving my email, which is very cumbersome compared to Outlook Express.

6. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

In Outlook Express click on Tools then Options. now click on the Security tab and untick the box that says "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Then click on the "Apply" button.

7. m_memories

The instructions you provided concerning Outlook Express resulted in the program no longer blocking attachments.
    However.... the attachments, although not blocked, have an unknown file format icon on them and do not have the ability to open. When I click on them, they go to Microsoft Photo Editor and an error message appears that they are of an unknown file format.
    What do I need to do to have attachments recognized by Outlook Express and open when clicked on?

8. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

What is the file extension of these unknown file formats?

9. m_memories

The most common attachments that show the unknown format icon have .eml

10. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Open Windows Explore. Click ont the "Tools" tab and in the drop-down click on "Folder Options...". Now click on the "File Types" tab and using the slider on the right hand side scroll down till you see where it says EML Internet E-Mail Message. Click on it and look at the bottom of the box Where it Says "Details for 'EML' Extension where it says Opens with it should say Outlook Express. If it does not than click on the "Change.." button and a box will open where you can select Outlook Express. Click OK, Apply, etc until your are out of there.

11. m_memories

OK, thanks........ the only thing different is that under file types is shows EML EML file instead of saying EML Internet Email File. I set EML to open with Outlook Express. I have to wait until someone sends me a message with an eml extension to see if it will solve my problem.

12. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Let us know if it works.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice