1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Godzilha82, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godzilha82

Godzilha82 Thread Starter

HELP!!! I don't know what the heck I did but for some reason, my Outlook is all screwed up. Its part of my Office XP suite. For some reason, when I open it up and click on my "Outlook Shortcuts" I get this message:

Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The file C:\Documents and Settings\Trevor\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file

I don't know what or how I screwed this up. I've tried reinstalling the whole office suite and it didn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. witkamp

witkamp

Go to Start/settings/control panel/folder options/file types
    search for line with .PST

What program does it show? opens with..???...........
    It should be Outlook or so

4. Godzilha82

I went there and it said its an Microsoft Office data file and opens with Microsoft Office.

5. marioh

marioh

How large is the PST file ?
    I don't know if it's the case anymore, but PST files would get corrupted once they hit the 2GB mark.
    If it's below 2GB in size, and Outlook cannot open it, then chances are the file is somehow corrupt. You may be able to repair it using the PST Repair tool. The repair tool is named SCANPST.EXE, and is typically located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033.

HTH

6. Godzilha82

I can't tell you exactly how big the file is but I recently archived all my old e-mail folders onto another hard drive so all my Outlook folders combined have got to be less than 1mb right now. However, there is another message I'm getting when I try to check my e-mail, its the same message as in my first post but it begins with "unable to begin processing services". Hmmmmmm.... The strangest thing about this whole issue is that when I uninstall and reinstall, for some reason, I can't just start from scratch. A reinstall should allow me to start over, shouldnt it?

7. Godzilha82

Also, could you tell my how I can run SCANPOST.EXE...do I need to tell it which file to fix? Or where to find it? Thanks very much.

8. marioh

marioh

To run SCANPST.EXE, first you have to find it. You can make things easy by just doing a search for the filename, and once it's found, run the file. Once running, it is fairly easy to use. All you have to do is browse to the PST file that you want checked from within the Inbox Repair Tool (the official name of SCANPST.EXE), and then hit start. I do recommend that you backup the PST file prior to scanning it though, just in case. You can do that by just copying the file to another location on your PC.

9. marioh

marioh

Unfortunately, Office tends to leave registry entries and certain configuration files behind, even after an uninstall. That's how it remembers your view settings, location and name of PST file, any rules you may have, etc. after you reinstall it after uninstalling it.

10. Godzilha82

Yeah, but I even went in and wiped the residual files from the C drive with Norton Wipe. Should have been nothing left...right?

11. marioh

marioh

I've never used Norton Wipe, so I don't really know if it's able to properly clean all traces of Outlook/MS Office from your PC's file system and registry.

12. Godzilha82

OK, I scanned the file and it said its not large enough to bother with recovering. In other words, it doesn't have anything in it....I guess

13. marioh

marioh

I believe the default file size for an empty PST file is 32kb, so if the file that you're having problems with is 32kb, then chances are pretty good that it's an empty file.
    You can create another PST file to see if Outlook is having problems with PST files in general, and not just the one that you're having problems with. You can do this by doing a File, New, Outlook Data File, and then following the prompts.

14. marioh

marioh

Regarding the error message that you get when you try to check email, check out the following link to see if it applies to you (if it does, just follow the directions to try and fix it) :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293058&Product=ol2002

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/336290