1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by GrammieE, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrammieE

GrammieE Thread Starter

I am having a big problem which I can't seem to solve on my own and REALLY need some help! Somehow, while searching for a foreign language translation feature I must have turned on the speech recognition feature of Outlook. Now when I am trying to write an email, nothing will print when I go to type in my message text. I can type in the "subject" area OK, but when I go to type within the message part of my email, nothing happens. Through clicking around I found that if I click on the "A" icon just above the message window in the toolbar, then the typing feature is active and I am able to type in my message, but otherwise it will not work. I have looked in HELP in both Outlook and Microsoft Office Word to find out how I can get my email program back to the default settings - just plain old "type in your message" stuff - but I just can't seem to find the answer. Microsoft is no help because the program was installed by the people who custom build my computer and they referred me back to them. The computer guys can't figure it out either because it is a software "issue".... I must add that Outlook worked great until I started clicking around to find out about the language translation feature. So, if anyone can send me instructions on how the hell to turn off this voice recognition feature (and I am assuming this is the issue here) so I can get back to my regular email business, please do so ASAP. I am throwing the challenge to all you great Geeks out there!! I am fairly computer literate for a Grammie, but I sure could use the help with this problem. Thanks so much.

2. idowindows

idowindows

Sure you don't have your font color set to be same as the background?

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It sounds to me as if you perhaps changed your default email format to have white text. To test: Open a new message. Hit Format-->Background and make it black or some other color that white will show against. Then type your message.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL, idowindows. Nice.

5. GrammieE

GrammieE Thread Starter

Hey! Thanks so much for solving my disappearing font mystery! You both were right - somehow I did change my font color (never even knew I could do that, which shows you that I am not as c-literate as I thought!). I'm a graphic photo artist so my interests are mostly in that area. So, I guess the LOL IS really on ME!! Thanks again!

6. GrammieE

GrammieE Thread Starter

I am still having an issue but I hesitated to get back to you again, especially after the stupid remarks from your Senior (?) Member idowindows, I am beginning to really feel stupid, but isn't this what your service is suppose to be all about? Helping those who are not "tech" types?
    Anyhow, you were correct in how to determine the "issue". I went in to Background and changed my font color back to black. With that new message it worked. Then, I closed the test email and tried again and I was back to the default color, white. I then went back into the Fonts again and tried to set black as the default but I am not given a "default" option. How do I set my default color back to black? Thanks again. As a P.S., I must say that "ido" (is that short for Idiot?) isn't helping the cause much for soliciting contributions from those who are seeking help. This might be a big game to him but it isn't for those who truly need tech support from time to time.

7. GrammieE

GrammieE Thread Starter

Hey there Mr I...Junior Member....Hummmmmm, does the I in your ido stand for Idiot? Anyhow, thanks for your attempt to help in some way. You have a lot to learn though about human nature and how to relate, even in an environment which gives you relative anonymity. If your remark about yellow snow made your day then I really do feel sorry for you. Have a good one and go back and take Physiology 101 again...you could use it!

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL, Grammie. Don't take his remarks personally. That's his signature. It's an attempt at humor, presumably due to the time of year that's coming (winter! snow!). It was not a direct comment to you. I choose to be a bit more serious with my signature, but the truth is that some signatures have made me laugh and laugh and laugh. :)

Also, he is a senior member due only to his number of posts. The system automatically changes people's membership status (well, not mine) according to the number of posts they make. Truth is, someone could ask 112 questions and be a senior member. It has nothing to do with expertise.

Again, also, I think it's me that's soliciting contributions with the Affero link. Any contributions made go directly to Tech Support Guy (Mike Cermak--see him and me in the picture in my profile) to help support the site (hosting costs and such). I don't see any links on idowindows' post. Everyone here helps for free, and us admin-types watch out for idiots. We're pretty good at it, so I think you might want to leave the job to us.

As for your Outlook...
    Tools-->Options, Mail format tab.
    Choose None for the stationary. Perhaps you chose a stationary with a bad background color and "auto" is making it look weird. I have NONE selected and Auto font color makes my font black.

Good luck to you Gram!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice