1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook Won't Open - Repair Tool Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JacLad, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JacLad

JacLad Thread Starter

I have Windows XP (2007).
    When trying to open Outlook - message says cannot start, cannot open window, the pst folder has errors - use Inbox Repair Tool. When using the repair tool, the test results say minor discrepancies found, optional to repair. When I don't repair, Outlook still doesn't open. When I use the Repair Tool and begin the repair, the repair gets hung and stops. When I try to copy the PST file to an external hard drive to save it and possibly delete and reload, it cannot copy saying "I/O error".

Background, for quite a while, opening Outlook has begun with message that a personal folder did not close properly - checking. Have run the Inbox Repair Tool in the past and it has worked.

But for now - can't go past the above blocks. Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

2. Sponsor

3. robdam1001

robdam1001

Uninstall and then reinstall OL.

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried right-clicked on the outlook icon on your desktop. And looked into changing the data files settings so they point to a diferent pst? I would then run scanpst.exe if that is the inbox repair tool tha you have already run on the pst file.

5. JacLad

JacLad Thread Starter

I've right clicked and don't see how to change the data settings. How do I do that?
    thanks.

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Right-click the Outlook icon and then select properties first.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905613