1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by valastro, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valastro

valastro Thread Starter

I am using Microsoft Outlook and was, at one time, able to begin typing in a name in the TO: field for email and it would plug in the name if it was in the address book. This no longer works. Is there a way I can recover this so I don't have to type in the email address each time? Thank you.

2. RandyG

RandyG

In Outlook, go to Tools, Options, on Preferences tab click E-Mail Options, then click Advanced Email Options and near the bottom of the next window, make sure there is a tick for Automatic Name Checking

This way, when you type in a portion of the email, it will automaticall put in the eddress once you leave the To field. If it could be one of several addresses, what you typed in will have a wavy red underline, right-click the selection and choose the address from the ones Outlook thinks you mean.

If you were referring to the address being displayed as you type it, that is an Outlook Express function.

3. valastro

valastro Thread Starter

Randy, I followed your instructions but still do not get the TO: field to complete even though I have the name in the address book. When I check the field automatic name checking I have to ok all the way out of the screens. I see apply in one of them but it is not highlighted. Do you have any other ideas? I can click on the To:' field and pull the email address but the automatic name checking and filling in of the To: shortens the process for me. Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

4. RandyG

RandyG

Just to test something, what happens when you click on the Check Names button after you type in part of the address?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. valastro

valastro Thread Starter

Randy, if I type in part of the email address and it is in the address book and then click on check names it completes the To: field.

6. RandyG

RandyG

Ok, then following my first bit of advice is the only thing I can recommend. I can tell you that it doesn't do it right that second, but when you leave the To box, it will get around to it within a few seconds.

Sorry i could not be of more help:(

7. valastro

valastro Thread Starter

Randy, your advice was fine. I will try it by typing a few letters in the To: field and if that doesn't work click to the contact list.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice