1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Page Loading Incorrectly

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by IanRM2005, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Hi

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8073 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 458 GB (107 GB Free); E: 298 GB (211 GB Free); Z: 7 GB (3 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0D28YY
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Can anyone please tell me why, whenever I type in any Microsoft URL to Vivaldi, it always opens the Microsoft Store page, despite that not being what I was looking for?

If I type in a URL for Windows Updates, Windows Media Creation Tool page or anything else Microsoft related, when the page download it's always Microsoft Store that appears instead of what I've typed in!

It could just be a Vivaldi quirk but I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I presume you mean in the address bar - send please the URL you are using for - Windows updates, as normally on 7 you would either click windows update in control panel if you wishes to check or of course depending on settings for updates your notification would appear

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  4. Macboatmaster

I do not think the problem is the updates per se

The problem appears to me to be that URL`s, that are Microsoft URL addresses, typed in the browser Vivaldi, open the Microsoft Store page, instead of the actual URL web page

5. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Yes, that's the issue!

6. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

I've just clicked the link for the Windows Updates Catalogue as posted by plodr and it opened the Microsoft Store page again!

7. Macboatmaster

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Here is Vivaldi (see the V in the upper left?) at the link I posted for the catalog. Vivaldi_MS_catalog.jpg

So, it is something in your computer - not the browser nor the urls. You have some sort of redirect.

9. Macboatmaster

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Ian, can you provide a screenshot of what you see after doing a MS link?

11. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Is this what you mean?

Attached Files:

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

This may lead nowhere, but check your hosts file with admin notepad : C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

13. Macboatmaster

IanRM2005
    If you wish to ignore my posts on 7 and 9 that of course is your choice
    However there is no point in me continuing if you are simply going to do so
    I will withdraw from the topic unless of course you have not seen them and wish to now try the suggestion in post 7 first

14. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

I apologise for not replying to your posts. I did delete the cache but it didn't make any difference, at the moment I don't have the time to disable all the extensions and re-enable them all one by one but as I work term time and summer holidays start next week I should have more time to be able to try something like that. The link to the update catalogue did work and I appreciate you sending it, though at the moment the issue is that any Microsoft URL opens the Microsoft Store Page and currently I'm not looking for updates, it was just an example I was using to show that it was happening with every Microsoft webpage I tried to look up. I'm sorry for not making this clearer and for not responding to your posts individually.

15. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Another reason I don't respond very quickly is that I don't appear to be getting an email for every reply (including your post about me not replying to posts 7 & 9) and I don't always remember to check the page. I will try to check the page more often and not rely on emails.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice