Microsoft Picture It 99

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DontisM

Hi,
I am trying to use Microsoft Picture it and for some reason I cannot open any pictures from any other program in MP 99. Mainly I'm trying to open pictures from Print Artist and when I open the files nothing shows up. I've unstalled and reinstalled both programs at least twice. But still I'm having the same problem. Any suggestions.
Thanx
Dot

I think Print Artist stores most files in a vector format like WMF. Picture-It is for raster images. There are image editing programs that will convert vector images to raster so it can work with them, but I don’t think Picture-It is one of them.

Vector images are formed by a mathematical description of the shape. If you blow one up it is still sharp. Raster images are formed of dots or pixels and get hazy if you blow them up much. Picture-It is mostly for working with images from a scanner or digital camera, which are raster graphics. Most of the images you download from the internet would be raster as well. Much clipart is vector, and that is mostly what a program like Print Artist is designed to work with.

There are programs like Adobe Illustrator that work mostly with vector images. There is a freeware called Zoner Draw 3 which is very competent with vector graphics. You might want to try that – second one down: http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/graphics_programs_w95.html

If you don’t have a scanner or digital camera and want to check Picture-It to make sure it is working: Find a photo on the internet. Right click on it and “save picture as” to your HD where you can find it. Open Picture-It and open the image (File>Open). Try it with this one and tell us what happens: http://www.duke.edu/~jbz/Lemontstmichelle.jpg

Thanx for the info. I did copy the picture you suggested but I can't pull it up in Picture it. I'm sure it is something with the program. I don't know what else to try. The thing is it worked fine before. I could pull up any picture but then my computer broke and I had to get a new hard drive and since reinstalling everything, the program will not work. That's what I don't understand. So if you or anyone else has any other ideas I would appreciate any suggestions.

I don’t have Picture-It on my computer right now so I can’t check the specific steps. It is odd that Picture-It is opening but won’t display a gif or jpg image. I would think it has something to do with your settings.

Confirm that you downloaded the image to your HD. When you click on the image file in Windows Explorer it opens and displays OK in your default image viewer. But when you open the image in Picture-It you see nothing. The picture downloaded to my computer as a .jpg. Check to see if there is an image type choice in the dialog box when you open the image. It could be set to just import Picture-It native files.

Are they images that you saved in the Microsoft Picture It!\My Documents folder?

Did you install the Media Manager from the Picture It CD?
If so you need to install it again to get to the files in the My Documents folder.

I went tru this before and had to install the Media Manager to get to the images. But I then copy all the images to another folder and uninstalled the Media Manager.

DontisM

I finally figured out what the problem was, but am unsure of how to correct it. There was a program called Creative Calendar by Softkey that was on my computer. All the graphics were being automatically converted to their program so it could only be opened in their program. I deleted the program but I think there has to be a manual correction made in the batch files and I don't know how to do that. I think if I can get that straight, it should work. I don't even know how to get into the batch files. Can anyone help me on that. Thanx

I don't have Microsoft Picture It! on my PC right now so can't look at it but there are setting you can make to have it so images types will open with Microsoft Picture It!.

Am sure Print Artist has the same thing some place in the Preferences, settings.

Just how are you trying to open the pictures anyway?

Find one of the graphics files that have been converted by Creative Calendar in Windows Explorer. What is the file extension? The file extension is the three or four letters after the period at the end of the file, like .gif or .jpeg.

DontisM

Some have bmp some have jpeg. I've been trying different things but nothing works. Maybe some of the files got corrupted or something. I'm still stumped about this. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to correct. But I can't figure it out.

Not hard at all now that we know Creative Calendar didn’t “convert” the files to some other type. They just have to be redirected.

Open Windows Explorer and find one of the files. Highlight the file and then right click on it whild holding down the shift key. There should be an "open with" choice in the window. Select it and you will get a little scroll down window to select what program you want the file to open in. If you check the box to always open this type of file with this program you will find that all of that type of file in the future will open in the program you have selected. You have to do this twice – once each for a BMP and JPG.

DontisM

I liked the trick with holding down the shift key and right clicking the mouse. I never knew that. Anyway, that did work. I can now open the pictures in MPI but only through Windows Explorer. I still cannot bring them up from MP program itself. So now I'm assuming it must be a setting in MP that needs to be changed but I've been through everything and can't seem to find anything that would help me with that.
Also Hewee I am sorry. I wasn't trying to b rude, I didn't notice your post last time I checked. I am new to this and just seemed to overlook it by mistake. But in answer to your question because that would solve the last part of my problem I believe, There is an option setting but it doesn't have anything to do with opening pictures from other sources. Troubleshooting seems to only cover problems with scanners or digital cameras. So if either one of you have any more suggestions as to what else I could possibly try I would appreciate it. I know I should be able to open these graphics in PI from the PI program because I've done it before with no problem. In the meantime I'll keep trying differen things myself. Thanx

DontisM,

With me not having PI on my PC I can't look.
Ok got to the readme.

PI-99 opens .bmp, .fpx, .jpg, .png, .tif, .gif, pcx, .tga, .dxf, .cdr, .eps, .emf, .pcd, .pct, .drw, .wmf, wpg. and by default use .mix

Associating a file type so Picture It! will be the default application to open it

Microsoft Picture It! will set itself as the default application to open an image file if the file type doesn’t already have a program associated with it. If you have a file type that Microsoft Picture It! can open, and you wish to set Picture It! as the default program to open it, do the following:

1 In My Computer or the Microsoft Windows Explorer, click the View menu, and then point to Folder Options.
2 Click the File Types tab.
3 In the Registered file types list, click the file type that you want to change.
The settings for that file type are shown in the File Type Details box.
4 Click Edit.
5 In the Actions box, click Open.
6 Click Edit, click Browse , and then select the Microsoft Picture It! icon. Microsoft Picture It! is in the Microsoft Picture It! directory under Program Files.

Note: There are several third-party or custom image files formats that Picture It! cannot open. Check the manuals of the software that created those files for more information on how to convert them to a form that Picture It! can read.

Opening a picture created by a different program

1 Click the Workbench tab.
2 Click Get Picture, and then click My Picture.
3 In step 1, make sure All Picture Files is visible in the Display this type of picture box. If it is not, click the arrow on the right of the Display this type of picture box, and then click the file format you want from the list.

Note: If you still can't see your picture in the preview pane, then Picture It! cannot open that file type. Start the program that was used to create the picture, open it, and save the picture again in a file format Picture It! can open, such as .BMP.

4 Follow the remaining instructions in the task pane, and then click Open.

When you bring up the help click on the Index and do a find on format(s) to get more info.

DontisM

OK I went through all the steps you said. I now have all the PI icons next to the Print Artist Pictures. I can open all the jpeg pictures in PI but only from Windows Explorer, not from PI program itself. Which to me is strange. But I just don't know what else to try. I've done everything I know to do. I know I should be able to open these pictures in PI because I was able to do it before. Now when I try it tells me I need a file name. I can open the clipart from Microsoft Publisher with no problem. Anyway, if there's nothing else you can think of for me to try I understand. Thanks for all the help.

DontisM

My program works now. The problem was where you have to open the pictures and where it says, display this type of picture. I had it on "all picture files" but the jpeg and gif extensions were in caps in the picture it program and they were not suppose to be. Supposedly this is a type of glitch in the program. As long as I had the anti virus program running it wouldn't go to lower case so I couldn't open any files in PI. Now that I shut the anti virus program down, I can open all the files in it. hopefully this will help anyone in the future who may have similiar problems. You have to uninstall and reinstall PI to get it back to lower case extensions.

DontisM,

Wow great to hear you got it. But can you just rename them to lower case? Or are you talking about this here that you can't change.

See image.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online