1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Plans Major Patch Day on February 8

Discussion in 'Personal News & Announcements' started by jd_957, Feb 7, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. jd_957

jd_957 Banned Thread Starter

2. mach9

mach9

Oh,goodie. Then next month we get patches for the patches. I hope its an arithmetic progression, not geometric.[​IMG]

3. hewee

hewee

Nothing new with MS giving patches for the patches.

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned Thread Starter

they are late. here we are about halfway through the day and no update. their security center does not have it and neither does windows update. automatic update has not started here either.

any MVP......do you know the reason for the delay? i cant find one.

5. hewee

hewee

Guess they are still patching a patch that is a patch for the last patch. :D

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Microsoft.:D While they be major screw ups they are still king. As Mel Brookes said, "it's good to be king"

7. hewee

hewee

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, I saw that Hewee. Also, there were ten patches I needed for my machine today.

I still run SP1 because I have had so many issues with SP2. I don't know how many it would be if SP2 were installed.

Man that patch hates me. I have even slip streamed a disk and did the install and SP2 still messes with me. I quit messing with it for at least another 6 months. I installed it the other day fo the 4th or 5th time and this time it killed my sound blaster. I couldn't get the damned thing working again until I uninstalled the patch.

I think Bill Gates has it out for me.:D

9. hewee

hewee

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I read all over that some people get through it without a hitch. I am thinking it must have something to do with Nforce boards or Athlon XP processors and quite possibly a combo of everything I have on the system. Maybe it hates my ram.:D

It just doesn't work for me. Every time I have tried it it has been a new issue. I think I just wasn't meant to run it.:p

11. hewee

hewee

Guess MS just does not like you. But yea I think MS is more for intel too.
    Have you ever try doing everything but right a format and clean install of XP.
    I mean you should not have to do it that way but you know how MS is.

Hey guess the paches are out now because chesse just got two of them for 98 so I will go look later on.
    I hate using IE and after upgrading to IE 6 I can loss my conection when I close IE and it can be lost from a very short time to 15 min or more. Now there is a bug that needs a patch. It does not always do it but it does it more times then it should and I want to read the post here so I will get my updates later.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah Hewee, I have done a fresh install with a slip steamed disk. It hates me and that is all there is to it. Allot of people have done it with no issues, not me.:)

By the time support for SP1 is pulled Longhorn should be available. I might just wait for that if it isn't a major pig.

13. hewee

hewee

He hee and if you got Longhorn you may have even more troubles. :)

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

:D I'd bet money on it. It will be a mess. Most likely my super duper machine will be too weak to run it.

15. mach9

mach9

It was well into the afternoon before they came through. For XP SP2 I think it was 13 patches. Amazingly, they all downloaded and installed without a hitch. Was able to restart without a hitch, and now my computer is running as well or better than before the mammoth patch day. What is up? Didn't have to go back and try it all again after failure of one or more patches to install. Dare I think that maybe they got it right this time????[​IMG]On the other hand, maybe I was just dreaming.

Oh. It was only 9 patches. Now I remember. No wonder it went so well. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice