1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Private Folder corrupting files WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JulesTheLesser, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesTheLesser

JulesTheLesser Thread Starter

I put Microsoft Private Folder onto one of our store computers up in Seattle, because the GM wanted to be able to keep certain files private from the other assistant managers (like salary info & performance reviews) I only looked into it briefly, and Private Folder seemed ok - and most reviews were positive.
    It semed to work fine for several years - but he called me last week to say that many of the files in that folder seem corrupted now. Some are ok, but many cannot be opened or are damaged in some way.
    I think we will get rid of the program - and try something else. First question: does anyone know of a way to get the files out of Private Folder without having them all corrupted? (he DOES know his password) And second question: any suggestions on a new file encryption-type program?
    A BASIC one - we are a restaurant group - not doing espionage! We are still using mostly Windows XP Pro. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I doubt you will be able to recover the files.

What is wrong with each user having their own login. As long as each user is not in the administrators group they won't be able to access each others files.

TrueCrypt is another option for you to use.

3. JulesTheLesser

JulesTheLesser Thread Starter

I did offer them that option but they whined about it. I think I will re-visit that idea. We wouldn't even need a login for everyone, just one unique for the GM, and everyone else could use the other.

I'll take a look at TrueCrypt as well.

Thanks very much!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!