1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Private Folder

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by donkat, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donkat

donkat Thread Starter

Microsoft had developed a program that you would be able to hide all your files onto. It seems as though a parent had complained the if need be she or he was not able to gain access into there child's private folder, hence Microsoft shut it down, You are still able to download it, but when it comes to installing it onto a Vista OS, forget it. My deal is this, without Microsoft support giving you a patch that would allow you to install it, there is nothing one can do. Talk about control, I just want to find some way around this mess of Vista not being compatible with said hardware. They treat "Microsoft Private Folder" like it's the plague. it's possible to download it onto XP, so far. They have made damned sure that is not possible on Vista. Do you know of anyway possible way to download a program that Windows has put the kibosh on. Thank you for your time.

Donk

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It was discontinued because it was not susceptible to normal security controls and too many people were losing data permanently using it.

There are a lot of alternatives for free and encrypters are available at freeware sites.

3. donkat

donkat Thread Starter

Thank you, That sounds like the way to go. The only thing I was using my Private folder for was to clean up my desktop. I surly did not expect Windows to support it.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

My understanding it was pulled because I.T. administrators bitched pretty hard about it. But how is it any different then what TrueCrypt and Axcrypt can do.

I have seen alot of these Password Protecting folder programs corrupt data. Didn't know MS Private Folder had the same issue. TrueCrypt is pretty reliable though.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wikipedia tends to confirm what you say. My memory is imperfect, but I remember vaguely that the encryption was deemed too good and that data can be retrieved from most encryption programs, but that it was not from the Private Folder.

The story may be somewhere in between--that people "lost" data by forgetting their passwords and IT personnel were unable to help them get it back.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. Chrismichael

Chrismichael

8. donkat

donkat Thread Starter

Stories get changed through the pipe line. You can still find My Private folder on certain web sites but have one hell of a time trying to download it. I have tried several other programs but still like My Private folder. Yes... I have used other programs and they where much better, but in the end, you had to pay for the product. Like I said earlier, I use it to mainly keep my desktop clean. What I don't like with Vista is the inability to download the program on to my computer. Microsoft had not made it possible to still download onto XP, but with Vista, that is a whole different deal. If I want to download something then it should be my choice, A simple patch would remedy all that, but again THEY are making that choice for me. No patch, No folder. Most all programs I have downloaded on to my computer have a disclaimer I have to check before moving on. Downloading My private Folder can be offered to you after checking said block releasing all responsibility from Microsoft. I am not sure who has the wrights to this product anymore. Anyway, thanks for all the input.
    Donk
    PS, I am not sure if my attachment made it through or not, if it did it was just a site that looked damn near the same as when microsoft put out the product.

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

10. donkat

donkat Thread Starter

Yes, I have downloaded the product many times. If you go to the wright site you won't have a problem. I have also used many sites that run you in circles. I have saved to my Documents the address "MSPF10ENU" that address starts the download ASAP. Thanks for the Address and input. have a good day

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!