1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft remote help...or have I been scammed?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chredge, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just been online with Microsoft who were trying to help me as I have a laptop that will not install Windows 10. They remote accessed my laptop and took my name, email address and phone number. They then performed some tests on the laptop, took some machine information from me and advised that they could see what the problem was and could easily resolve the issue for me.

After some time the person I was chatting to online advised that there would be a charge for the help as the problem was so complicated. Now I am not sure that the person I was speaking to was actually from Microsoft.
    I was quoted the price of £106 to fix the problem (the problem seemed to be a corrupt Windows installer and problems with the 'source engine'). The link I clicked on to access the help was displayed on-screen after my latest attempt to install Windows 10 failed.

I'm now fearing that the person who accessed my PC wasn't actually from Microsoft, what should I do?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    They may not have been microsoft - this does sound like a typical scam - was this an asian call centre

How did you get hold of them - did you call Microsoft

The machine should be checked for virus/malware - sometimes they do put a virus/malware on the PC , although often now , they just move on if they dont get the money

have you disconnected the connection

disconnect the PC from the internet - and post a new thread in the virus/malware forum - after we establish answers to the questions

What country are you in ?

3. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

There was no telephone call.

I clicked on a link after the Windows 10 install failed. Everything was performed online and everything seemed legitimate. I was just concerned after they advised that I would have to pay. I have since disconnected from the internet but have yet to perform a check for viruses or malware.

I have just found the site I was taken to, <removed by moderator>

I am in the UK.

Regards,

C h r e d g e

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it was not microsoft
    so i have removed the link

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    this appeared as part of the windows 10 failure message
    usually those popups are due to malware

now that windows 10 has failed to install are you back to the original windows

whats the make and model of the pc and windows version ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice