1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Replacements

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Deke40, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

2. Big-K

Big-K

There are a few things microsoft do right when they decide what software to include with windows. Programs such as...

Notepad
    Dos Prompt
    Calculator

Thats just sad. Whats worse is that notepad is probably the best piece of software/utility that ms has ever created(aside from DOS).

3. hewee

hewee

Thanks Deke :)

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Give me a break, you'd be sitting in front of an abacus if Microsoft hadn't done what's it did over the past years. Where were all of the great OS writers when Microsoft was developing Windows? They could have done the same thing but none put the effort into it like MS did. I've heard all of the arguments, excuses, reasons and whining about Micosoft in my twenty plus years of programming and none hold water. It's real easy for all of the johnny come lately's to come along now after MS devoted years to it and more power to them but stop the whining about MS, it's just a hollow sour grapes argument ...

5. Big-K

Big-K

I know that its a hell of a lot of work making an OS, why do you think linux is open-source. My complaint is just that MS tries to corner the market in every way possible and not let in any competition(inclusion of IE, Media Player, etc anyone?). They might have made it a bit better. For instance, they could have lightened the load by making all those extra things they include in windows OS's optional, like putting them up on the MS website and releasing lite versions. I'm sure we could get along without Solitaire and that MS logo screen.

I know I cant make a better operating system, i cant make one period. I just wish there were more options.

And btw, that was a joke.

6. K-Man

K-Man

I don't usually post on threads like this one, but ...

I believe it is incorect to say that Microsoft created DOS:

I think you will find, if memory serves, that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs PURCHASED Dos from a programmer... for very little money too!

Anyway: this'll be my ONLY post on this thread.

Don't debate too long guys...

7. hewee

hewee

I think IBM came up with PC-DOS and then Gate got it from IBM and it's called MS-DOS.

Opps it was the other way around.

8. Big-K

Big-K

Thats true, but MS was the one who kept adding features. Technically the other guy just made QDos, they made DOS. Either way it was all based on cp/m(or is it cm/p?)

9. hewee

hewee

I read long ago the history of DO and who had what first and who sold to who etc but can't remember all of it.

10. Rumpel

Rumpel

I don't think so. Or -- if NotePad is one of MS' best, then the rest is pretty awful.

NotePad won't remember most of your settings. It won't open a file larger than about 45K. The only way you can switch between a monospace display font and a proportional font is to go into the Edit menu and reset the font -- assuming that you can remember which of your fonts are monospace fonts and can find them. It won't remember the folder you last opened a file from. It won't let you display a binary file in hex. In short, it's crippleware.

For a decent editor, go to <http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer> and download a copy of Editor2. Now you've got a text editor that's actually useable. BTW -- it's freeware.

And while you're on that site, check out 2xExplorer, and find out what a decent file manager looks like.

11. Big-K

Big-K

It's their simplest piece of software. Yes it does remember settings, it just depends on the copy. It does exactly what it was made to do, edits text, as well as coding, without any extra crap.

And I didnt look at your program you posted, if I need a text editor any better than notepad I just use Notepad2. Here's the intro to the page...

The original Notepad shipped with Windows is probably the handiest program of all times, small, fast, without frills! Notepad2 tries to follow this principle, it's a small, fast and free text editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages.

12. Rumpel

Rumpel

I did take a look at the Notepad2 site.

Looks like it's a draw. Without a detailed comparison, I'd be hard put to say which is the better. The feature sets are quite similar.

13. eightup1

eightup1

gates bought dos from an independent programmer ... then took it to IBM and made the deal with them that they could use it only if they installed it on every single computer that they made from that day forward .... the royalties from IBM are what made him rich enough to start MS and go into research and development of windows ....

a great programmer he is not ..... but a great business man for shure.

14. mark007

mark007

Wouldn't you if you could?

Business s business and cornering a market is exactly the thing a business wants to do in order to make more and more money. A business exists to make money!

If MS was so bad then something else would of caught on in a much bigger way. I know when I buy a PC windows is a prerequisite.

:)

15. eightup1

eightup1

oh no doubt ... i love windows .... my only real complaint about ms is that everytime they get most of the bugs worked out of an O.S. they move up to a new version that forces me to buy a new printer , scanner , software and any other accessorie that wont work with the new O.S. .... then i have to go through testing various programs to see what wont conflickt with the new O.S .. then just about the time i get everything perfect and working happilly ... they come up with a new sevrice pack or O.S that screws everything up again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice