1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

microsoft said for me to reformat or call HP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by diver46, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

:confused: For the past three days I have been unable to open up my hotmail. I can go to my yahoo mail and comcast mail with out any problem, but my MSN and hotmail accounts show nothing but a white page and I am unable to even send a message through it. I have installed Panda titanium's 4 and Regrun gold. I talked with MSN support today as I keep getting the error message about UNICOWS.dll and I have to install that file daily. After running a series of tests with MSN support, I got another error message that stated "unable to install OCX C:\WINDOWS\System32\mskml3.dll". Then I was told that I need to contact HP as this was a registry problem in windows and that MSN could not be of anymore assistance. I was then told, after asking, "Yes, you may need to reformat your system".
    Ok tech folks, you guys work miracles and I have seen the proof of your handiwork. The ball is in your court, how do I fix this thing? I am running windows XP and am hooked up via LAN
    diver46 :confused:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

UNICOWS.dll is a Win98/ME driver . . . did you upgrade over thetop of ME or 98? If so this is almost surely the reason you are having issues. M/S reccomendation to reformat ( and presumably perform a clean install of XP ) is probably a good one.

wrs

3. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

No...I didnt install over 98. I bought the computer new with XP already installed. This problem just started a few days ago. I have had this HP for two and half years. So is reformatting still my only solution?
    diver

4. mimo2005

mimo2005

This unicows.dll is also to do with MSN Messenger.
    Try updating or re-installing Messenger.
    Follow following step by step procedure
    Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    Click the Install/Uninstall tab in the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.

Select MSN Messenger, and then click Add/Remove.

If prompted, click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the program, and then click OK.

Download the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. Visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d7-ed06-4f0d-80a4-2a7eeaee17e2&DisplayLang=en .
    Click the Download link.
    Restart your computer.

Download and install MSN Messenger. Visit http://messenger.msn.com . Click Download Now

good luck

5. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

I have done as Mimo2005 suggested and I still dont have access to email through Hotmail. I can access my hotmail through IE but when signed in to MSN hotmail, all I get is a white page. It did however solve the UNICOWS.dll problem. I want to thank Mimo and the others that have helped me with this issue. My donation has been donated.

6. mimo2005

mimo2005

hi
    maybe if you reinstall msn explorer,that will resolve the problem,
    thank you for donating to this site .

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As a side note, and an FYI, if your donation was $20 and your ads did not get turned off, please contact me via email or pm for follow up.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice