Microsoft SBS 2003 and networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alkolkin

I have a file server that has SBS 2003.
I have a router/firewall/switch between file server and a DSL Bridge Modem.
I have a DSL Bridge modem connected to Bellsouth with a fixed IP address assigned by Bellsouth.
I have a fixed IP address for each of the six computers attached to the router (5 workstations and the file server).
I point each workstation to the file server's IP address as the gateway.
I have pointed each local workstation to the file server's IP address as the preferred DNS server.
I have pointed each local workstation AND the file server to the address of Bellsouth as the alternate DNS server.

It all works, but sometimes very slowly. Have I pointed correctly?

Albert

I have pointed each local workstation AND the file server to the address of Bellsouth as the alternate DNS server.
If your server hiccups and you start using the alternate it will perform sloly as you mention.

I would take out the alternate and only have DNS going through the server.

Also if it continues to perform slowly after the change check your DNS logs. The DNS should have forwardes set to your ISP's DNS servers as well you should have both a revers and forward lookup zone with population going on. And lastly you should not have any big errors in the DNS event logs.

DNS isn't the only reason a network can perform slow though with AD its a big reason it would.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online