1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Scam logmein

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leahshea, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leahshea

leahshea Thread Starter

I received a similar call yesterday and went along not thinking straight. I was eventually asked to go to www.secure.me not realising it was logmein allowing remote access. I did go as far as keying in the 6 digit pin but as soon as a connection was established I closed the chat box and hung up.

Now my question is whether my information has been compromised since I did not allow them to take control? I have disabled anything doing with lmi.exe on my firewall an disabled remote access.

Please help! Appreciate it..

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What makes you think it is a scam, and how did you find out about it? What "call" did you get?

It appears to be a legitimate site and service. Avira has partnered with them.

But that doesn't mean you don't have to be careful, if it's not already too late: CNN Report On Internet Privacy.

3. leahshea

leahshea Thread Starter

Well he said he was calling from Microsoft and sounded very convincing with the company address and details. But then I've done some reading and realised everyone's saying its a scam.

4. leahshea

leahshea Thread Starter

Oh yes and telling me my computer had all these errors and warnings.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, he wasn't from Microsoft. Did he tell you how he knew your machine had errors?

Where did that URL come from?

That really doesn't make much sense, even as a scam. Why would someone claim to be from Microsoft if they were sending you to another company? But maybe I misunderstood you.

Was there more than one call involved here and was some of it on the internet?

6. leahshea

leahshea Thread Starter

He said he was from Microsoft technical support and they were getting repeated error messages. So he provided the secure(dot)me link to hook me up with a technician or something. Like I mentioned, I hadnt realised at that point it was for remote access. I know I shouldn't have been so gullible but once I did realise I immediately shut it and hung up. Would you know if this has compromised my information in anyway? My understanding is that it would be if I had allowed them to access any files, etc. which I did not.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Uninstall the software, and everything is fine.

It's a well-known scam. Obviously they didn't know anything about your computer. Almost everyone with a Windows computer has errors at one point or another. They just call and guess.

8. leahshea

leahshea Thread Starter

I don't think it installed any software. It was an applet that supposedly clears itself after the session. I've tried looking for and removing any files that I could identify with the lmi letters. I'm just wondering if they might have installed any malware or spyware. Or even if just by accessing the address they gave. Many thanks

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's unlikely something happened that fast.

10. leahshea

leahshea Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045498