1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Security Essentials right-click context menu

Discussion in 'General Security' started by daktar, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daktar

daktar Thread Starter

Hello!

Maybe this is a bit of a technical question, but I am sure that there are people here that will be able to help me out :)

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2) machine. It works fine, but I have a little issue with it that I'd like to change.

When I right-click on a file, I have the option to "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." As you can see in this screenshot, it has made my right-click context menu really wide:

[​IMG]

I would like to edit the scanning option to state something like "Scan with MSE". However, I cannot find the proper place in the registry where to change this. I have tried using a couple of utilities that allow you to enable and disable right-click context menu items, but they do not seem to allow you to edit them at all - only enable and disable.

I have looked online for help on this but I have not been able do what I want. If anyone here could help me I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks a lot :)

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You may find the proper registry locations HERE. However, I have not found how to edit the context menu items, or if it can be done.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Don't think you can, i think it is contained in a shell extension dll file.

Would be nice if one could.

4. daktar

daktar Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

There must be a way to edit it, but I really cannot find where in the registry it is located (if it's there at all). I found a dll file in the program folder called "shellext.dll" which may be relevant. I've tried opening it in a plain text editor (I don't know how else I could really edit a dll, since it's not usually a good idea!) but I can't find the phrase "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." anywhere.

Any further help or ideas would be welcome :)

5. daktar

daktar Thread Starter

Any other ideas?

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I think you'd have to modify the program itself. So, I don't think there's a way for a user.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice