1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Security essentials Setup Wizard Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by unction21, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unction21

unction21 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a refurbished dell desktop with windows 7. Everything worked well after I set it up. However, the next day I turned it on and the Microsoft Security Essential Welcome window opened saying "Microsoft Security Essentials has already been installed on your computer, but hasn't been initialized. To initialize the program and make sure it's helping to protect your computer, click "next."

Upon clicking "next" the MSE license terms window opened. There was an "accept" and a "cancel" button. However, the area for the agreement was completely blank. I clicked the "accept" button and another window opened saying "Microsoft Security Essentials Setup error." Can't complete the Microsoft Security Essentials Setup Wizard. An error has prevented the MSE Setup Wizard from continuing. Please restart your computer and try again. If this problem continues you may need to uninstall and reinstall MSE.
    Error code:0x8007007e."
    When I try to uninstall MSE, a windows installer window opens up saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'msse.msi' in the box below." The box below says "Use source: and in the box is "C:\9c6753f60c45d8eda9b7159ce9\. There is also the browse button next to that box. Can anyone give me any direction on how to correct this? The same thing happens every time I start the computer. Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5000B, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3518 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 951177 MB, Free - 921550 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YP696
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

unction21

Welcome to Tech Support Guy

Before I spend time attempting to help, could you please confirm that you still require assistance and have not solved it since your post

Would you kindly list what you have tried to date.

Did the computer come with Norton installed or have you installed it please and is it a paid for Norton Security suite or some limited trial that has been provided with another package

3. unction21

unction21 Thread Starter

Yes, I am still having the problem. I've tried uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials a few times but I am not able to uninstall it. I have also tried System Restore with no luck. Those are the only things I've tried. The Norton Security Suite came with my Comcast Internet Service and is free. Thanks.

4. Macboatmaster

The problem is more than likely caused by Norton
    In any case Norton and MSE will not run together
    Personally and it is I can assure you not just my opinion, you would be far better not using Norton
    It has a reputation, irrespective of its efficiency as an antui-virus etc for causing all manner of problems, from slowing down the computer, to even preventing updates to hardware etc.

If you decide which you wish to do, either uninstall norton and you can if you wish always reinstall as Comcast I understand provide the necessary details to re-register the product

OR uninstall MSE

Then I will advise you further
    Note you simply cannot uninstall Norton by programs and features

This will be of some interest to you
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1072286-solved-exe-marks-spot.html

5. unction21

unction21 Thread Starter

I uninstalled Norton Security Suite but I was still not able to complete the setup for MSE. I also tried to uninstall MSE but it won't let me. When I try to uninstall it, I get the message: The feature you are trying to run is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'msse.msi' in the box below.That box has "User source" above it and in the box is the following:C:\9c6753f60c45d8eda9b7159ce9\. Thanks.

6. Macboatmaster

7. Macboatmaster

unction21

I just wondered if you managed to make any progress using the Norton Uninstall tool

8. unction21

unction21 Thread Starter

I was able to uninstall Norton without using the uninstall tool. Then I tried to uninstall MSE but the system wouldn't let me. I'm still getting the message "The feature you are trying to run is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'msse.msi' in the box below.That box has "User source" above it and in the box is the following:C:\9c6753f60c45d8eda9b7159ce9\.

9. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    The way Norton/Symantic leaves files behind is the reason for using the uninstall link that Macboatmaster gave you. I would still run that tool to get rid of all leftovers from Norton. After running that tool, restart your computer if it does not do so and then try MSE.

10. Macboatmaster

11. Macboatmaster

unction21
    It is now some four days since we heard from you I wondered if you made any progress

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice