Microsoft Security Essentials updates blocking other windows updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pb315

This is an inconvenient delay, not anything serious. Running Windows 7, if it makes a difference.

Issue: Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates block Microsoft Updates until MSE is finished.

Description: I have Microsoft Update (or Windows Update, whichever it's known as in 7) set to automatically check for updates but not download or install without my approval. I do this so I can review what's being updated, (I'm a little wary of Microsoft putting an anti-piracy app in as a "critical" update in the last year or two). Anyways, when I boot up the computer, it checks for updates and alerts me of them.

However, Microsoft Security Essentials also auto-checks for updates upon boot, and if it has an update it will automatically being downloading and installing it in the background. Which is all well and good, except whenever that's happening it causes MU to "fail" updates until it's done updating. Thus, I have to remember to wait until the MSE update is done, then run the MU update.

Question: MSE definition updates are included under "Optional" updates in MU, is there a way to make MSE stop updating independent of MU so I can queue all the updates together? I feel like this would be the easiest way to prevent this annoyance. I don't see an option, and I'd rather put up with this annoyance if the only solution is to put all updates back into Microsoft's hands completely.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My understanding of MSE is it will check several times during the to make it has the latest updates. Most GOOD VA programs will do this as there are several releases daily for AV definitions. This is the only way you and your machine will be aware of these releases.

When some of these attacks happen, a definition is released, but as the infection is refined, the the definition must also be refined and/or improved. I use F-Prot on my machines, but I install MSE on the kids and grand kids machines. I have seen as many as 12 releases in one day from F-Prot, this is what is call" being on top of things".

So I would not want to rely on ME being the one to check several times daily on all of my machines to see if a new release has been made.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online