1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft services

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Babs1, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Babs1

Babs1 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16265 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 455 GB (292 GB Free); D: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 827E
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated
    I have not used microsoft services for some time,but do use hotmail. m/s say the new Services agreements begin 30 August 2019,if I do not reuse or reinstall office my email etc will be deleted.
    If I run Libre Office and get gmail to receive my hotmail when they cancel my microsoft account will this work??

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I'm curious as to where you received this message from, since MS Office isn't required to use Hotmail. Also, a Hotmail account will be deleted after 270 days of non-access, so it might be worthwhile simply authenticating at least once during that time frame to ensure it's refreshed.

If Microsoft cancelled your account, it wouldn't matter if you had a redirect to Gmail; there wouldn't be anything to redirect. To be honest, I'm not sure if redirected email qualifies under Microsoft terms as still being in use. Perhaps another forum member or a Microsoft employee could provide a more accurate answer in that regard.

3. Babs1

Babs1 Thread Starter

below is a copy of what m/s sent me, I feel this is because I did not renew Office but started to use Libre, I have m/s office on my Mac, did not feel like paying ea year for another sub.

Many thanks for taking time to read my question and reply, appreciated.

Your Services Agreement made clearer

Hello,

You are receiving this email because we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover new Microsoft products, services and features.

The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services.

You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQs page here, including a summary of the most notable changes. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on 30 August 2019. If you continue to use our products and services on or after 30 August 2019, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.

If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services by closing your Microsoft accounts before these terms become effective. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for your child’s or teenager’s use of Microsoft products and services, including purchases.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I read the Agreement and it seems fairly standard, i.e. if you continue to use their services after August 30, 2019 then you agree tacitly to their terms by your continued use of your account; it won't get deleted.

Under Section 4a.(ii) it states, "You must use your Microsoft account to keep it active. This means you must sign in at least once in a two-year period to keep your Microsoft account, and associated Services, active..." [emphasis added] In that regard, I'm sure you'll be fine carrying on the way you do presently.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice