1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft silverlight won't install

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by techsavy24, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techsavy24

techsavy24 Thread Starter

I watch episodes of certain tv shows online. Everything was fine, until this morning it tells me that silverlight isn't working or something along those lines. So i went to the control panel to uninstall it. Then i went to the microsoft site and tried downloading the latest version of silverlight. But the program just says "unable to install silverlight". I have also tried doing a windows update to fix the problem but that doesn't work either. I also went through all the troubleshooting things involving the command prompt, MSIExec, etc. I got it off my computer just fine, but getting it back on is my problem. I use firefox, and I'm on a 32 bit system if that helps.

2. Sponsor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try it in Safe Mode with Networking.

However, the Windows Installer service won't start in Safe Mode. That's why you'll need SafeMSI. Be sure to run the program in Safe Mode with Networking.

4. techsavy24

Installing it in safe mode worked. Now it's on my computer. However when I go to watch a video it still prompts me to install silverlight. "Please install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video". Is there a difference between the actual program and the plugin?I mean when I successfully downloaded silverlight i just unplugged the computer, to get it out of safe mode. Was that wrong? I know that silverlight is on the computer i.e. its in my control panel and everything.

5. Phantom010

Make sure the Silverlight extension is enabled inside Firefox.

Tools > Add-ons > select the Extensions or Plugins tab.

Select the add-on you wish to enable (Silverlight) and restart Firefox.

6. techsavy24

Silverlight doesn't show up on either add-ons or extensions. I even enabled every add-on and extension just in cast, but no luck.

7. Phantom010

One of your add-ons may be interfering with Silverlight.

Try disabling the other add-ons temporarily.

8. disneyland90

disneyland90

i have a netflix membership and it uses windows silverlight well i have the same prob it quit so it promted me to delete and re install well when i deleted it and went to install again it says unabel to install already have this version of microsoft silverlight

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025904