1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Microsoft Store hangs when I try to download or update apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MikaKun, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikaKun

MikaKun Thread Starter

I checked for updates in the Microsoft Store, and I got a few updates. I updated all of them. But Groove Music won't update, giving me an error. So I decided to uninstall it (right click and uninstall - I did not use any kind of scripts). But now Microsoft Store won't download or update any app. Whenever I try download to any app, the store just hangs until I close it.
    Here is the event for it in Event Viewer:
    upload_2020-2-6_23-41-7.png
    I also checked the readability report for this in Security and Readability and it was also the same:
    upload_2020-2-6_23-42-37.png
    I have searched a lot for a fix for this and also tried the common fixes (re-registering the store app, resetting the store, resetting windows update components, wsreset.exe). None of them worked for me. I'm hoping that maybe there is something in the event details about the error that might pinpoint the cause of the error.
    Thank you so much in advance.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Education, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191123023226.000000+180
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-7Y30 CPU @ 1.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 615, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 895 GB (418 GB Free); D: 34 GB (34 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Haier Information Technology (Shen Zhen) Co.,Ltd Y11C, ver Default string, s/n Default string
    System: LN1V, ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n JM01N6E0900YAHCW1240
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Jack1000

Jack1000

Hello,
    What version of Windows 10 are you running? Is it by any chance 1909, which has had some off and on issues since its November release?

My suggestions:
    1.) Clear your cache on all your browsers including File History
    2.) Run Disk Clean Up. Go to your C Drive in File Explorer, right-click,/ Properties, run disk clean up.
    3.) Run System File Checker to scan your hard drive for errors:
    Run the System File Checker Tool
    1. Login to Windows 10.
    2. Click the Search button on the bottom left, and type command prompt.
    3. When you see the Command Prompt program listed, Right-click it, then click Run as administrator. ...
    4. When the command prompt box comes up type the following then click Enter: sfc /scannow.
    4.) When scan is completed, close out and reboot your machine.
    5.) Run Windows Update- Don't need to get any new version builds for Windows 10, but just install any "Patch Tuesday" updates, Reboot again if prompted.
    6.) Now, run the built-in Windows Store Troubleshooter by doing the following:

Microsoft has a troubleshooter that scans your system and detects any problems that might be preventing Microsoft Store apps from working correctly. Then, if possible, it automatically fixes these without you doing a thing.

The troubleshooter can be accessed by pressing Windows key + I to open Settings. Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Find Windows Store Apps on the list, click it, and click Run the troubleshooter.

7.) When the Windows Store Troubleshooter is done, run the commands to clear the Windows Store Cache:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog.

2. Type WSReset.exe, and click/tap on OK.

The WSReset tool resets the Windows Store without changing account settings or deleting installed apps.

3. A command prompt will now open without any message. After about 30 seconds, the command prompt will automatically close, and the Microsoft Store app will open.

A window will open which will begin detecting problems. It shouldn’t take any longer than a couple of minutes.

If problems are detected then the troubleshooter will try to resolve these. Alternatively, it might give you steps on how to do it yourself. You may also be able to click Next to see multiple solutions.

The troubleshooter may not be able to fix the problems or it might not even find any issues in the first place, but it’s worth trying anyway.

8.) I am not sure if step 8 is the same as step 7, but the instructions below return all Windows Store Apps to their default settings, Won't hurt to try it though:

To reset the Microsoft Store app in Windows 10, do the following.
    1. Open Settings.
    2. Go to Apps -> Apps & features.
    3. On the right side, look for Microsoft Store and click it.
    4. The advanced options link will appear. Click it.
    5. On the next page, click on the Reset button to reset Microsoft Store to default settings.
    9.) Finally, if you still can't download or install apps from the Microsoft Store, open up the Feedback Hub in Windows 10 and post about the issues there and the detailed steps that you have taken. (Just search in the search box for the Feedback Hub.) That sends the information along with other things that you can choose to the appropriate Microsoft Development Team for that App or service, The Feedback Hub has helped me when other support has failed.

Jack

MikaKun likes this.
  3. MikaKun

MikaKun Thread Starter

Thank you Jack for helping me. I fixed the issue by removing any leftovers of Groove Music and then resetting the store using the wsreset.exe tool as you said and also through the settings. I noticed that while Groove Music disappeared from the Apps and Features page and from the live tiles, it was still there in the all apps list, and so I figured that it probably was the cause of the error. But now while the store is working again, the Groove Music app is still there in the all apps list. It does not open at all. Is there is any way that I could get rid of it?
    But other than that the issue is pretty much fixed. Thanks again for your help.

Jack1000 likes this.
  4. Jack1000

Jack1000

Glad to help!

It seems that Groove Music is one of those Apps pre-installed with Windows 10 for Media Player Content. It is somehow integrated tightly with Microsoft Store. Internet research shows that it can only be removed through Power Shell. The instructions below are for advanced users, and I would not recommend doing them unless you really feel comfortable with this. Doing the instructions at the link below by removing Groove Music, could mess up the store again!

Whatever you do, DON'T do method two with CC Registry Cleaner! That has created more problems than it has solved: Use care if you do Method 1:

https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/completely-uninstall-grove-music-from-windows-10/

If it were me, I would leave things alone.

Satch

MikaKun likes this.
  5. MikaKun

MikaKun Thread Starter

You were right, there isn't an easy way to get rid of groove music. Thanks for helping me through this issue.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice