New Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shadowsden89

My grandfather got taken in by a Microsoft Windows Support Scam and I'm fairly certain that his laptop's got a bug that I can't get rid of.

What happened:

He got a popup (while using Internet Explorer and after downloading an Adobe update) that said there was a security issue and that he needed to call a number for Windows Firewall Service.
(I looked up the number and apparently other people have been taken in by this scam. Here it is on a Microsoft forum:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ca7-46e0-a856-4dba9529680c?db=5&page=2&auth=1

This is what the Popup said:

Quote:
""windows firewall service has been stopped due to virus/adware on your computer. please visit <removed>or call toll free <removed> for support. root-kits/spyware may have caused the security breach on your network location. call toll free <removed> for technical assistance."
So he called the number <removed> not knowing it was a scam and they said they were from Windows and that they needed remote access to his laptop to solve the security issue, which he gave them. (He said he did not give them any personal information, however.)

After he told me what happened, I checked out his laptop. He had about a dozen popups that wouldn't close and some malware programs were added, which I have removed.

Those programs were:
Knctr itibiti
One SystemCare
WebDiscover Browser
some kind of remote access/assistance program and a player program that I forgot to write down.

So I removed all of the programs I could find in the programs window (including a program called PCKeeper that he already had) and restarted the laptop. After that, I tried to scan his laptop using Windows Defender (he has Windows 10) but the scan kept stopping/canceling about two-thirds of the way through. I also tried to defrag (optimize) but that too kept stopping. Then I tried to do a maintenance check with the Windows Maintenance tool, that kept cycling and never went through. Same thing when I did a Windows Update check. The spinning wheel just kept spinning and spinning, and wouldn't go through.

So I tried to restart the laptop, but even after nearly 30 minutes, the laptop wouldn't complete the restart. So I just did a hard shut down and let it sit overnight, off. I turned it back on today to install a cleaning and up-kept program I use on my own laptop called Advanced SystemCare. I was hoping that it would work since it's not a Windows program. It installed, but I can't open it, despite it running in the background and the icon on the toolbar.

So I'm fairly certain that there is a bug on it somewhere that's taken control, but nothing I've tried has worked so far.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can fix this issue?
I'm not overly versed in bios or how to do in-depth maintenance.

< Edited by ETAF-Moderator , removed links and phone numbers to scam >

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online