1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft unveils PC security service

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Telstar, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

link

Ok look, here's my question:
    When is enough enough?
    Is this MS product overkill?

Do we really need to "pay" for additional security from M$?
    What with our already installed Firewalls, Spybots, Ad-Aware's, Spyware Guard/Blasters, etc. etc.
    Plus, will this make Windows Update ineffective or obsolete?

Telstar :confused:

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Overkill..YES..have they not got enough of the market..?
    They do not understand the concept of free, it must grieve them, that all those free downloads are readily available to the masses...they want some of the action..
    Go away I say..go away..

3. khazars

khazars

4. TOGG

TOGG

It's guaranteed not to work with the older OS's so, as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-event.

Having said that, I have to agree with the sentiments expressed by the contributors to the ZD Net article.

5. khazars

khazars

this was posted by Turkbear at the Tek-tips site lol

Hi,
    Or, given MS's rep,

"Help, OneCare Live deleted my FireFox and reset IE as the Default browser"

6. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Good one!...that ZDNet link concisely illustrates all the frustration we should feel upon this announcement by MS.
    My original point was this...I haven't had a virus attack in over a year (Norton, a-squared, Panda, House Call, etc protects me)....plus a little common sense telling me which email/attachments to open or not.

No malware, adware, spyware, trojans, etc thanks to Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareGuard/Blaster, HJT, etc...
    and these are all FREEWARE!...
    free...no charge...complementary...costless...gratis.

So, who needs to pay MS for virus and spyware protection?
    Just what is it that would justify the yearly subscription charge?

Ok, that's my rant of the day. :mad:

It'll be interesting, as we get closer to it's release, to see just how much
    support OneCare gets amongst Windows users.

Telstar :)

7. rez410

rez410

What makes me mad is that people like my parents will be paying the subscription b/c M$ said it was absolutly necessary to buy it, and they dont know any better. All they know is that bad stuff gets on the computer and you have to pay someone to get it off.

8. khazars

khazars

Microsoft wants to become the new Rockefellers of the C21st, where they the Rockefellers ended up controlling the petro-chemical industry although the US govt launched an anti-trust action and broke up Standard Oil in the early 1900s. However, the companies which emerged out of Standard Oil were all controlled or owned outright by the Rockefellers, such as Exxon, Texaco, Mobil and Chevron.

Microsoft, has been acquiring technology, either by taking over Giant, or by surreptitiously ripping off others such as Real Player, Windows Media player, Apple, whose ideas were used in W2k and Microsoft office Word and Excel which are rip offs of early word formats like winword and lotus' 123, now known as Excel.

And of course Sun's legal action over Java. Microsoft even thought it would commandeer the language market with Visual Basic!

http://www.ripon.edu/faculty/bowenj/antitrust/STDOILNJ.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/business/2000/microsoft/635257.stm

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/361973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice