1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Update Failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BML, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

My computer notified me about today's Microsoft update dump, so I did it...but one of the updates failed. Its the security update for .NET framework, KB928366. It starts to install it, then it quits and says it could not be updated. Now every so often the computer prompts me to download/install this Microsoft update. Is this something that I need? Why does it fail?

2. TOYMAN1952

TOYMAN1952

I have a similar problem it keeps telling me that I need to install it but my update history shows it has been installed.

3. doktarZues

doktarZues

uninstall any offending updates that appear to be a problem

Bring up a command prompt and type 'proxycfg -d' to clear the proxy cache.

> Type 'net stop wuauserv' to stop the automatic updates service.
    > Delete contents of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution.
    > Go back to the command prompt and type 'net start wuauserv' to restart the automatic updates
    > Now retry Windows update from IE

4. BML

BML Thread Starter

I just tried that and it still says "failed" for the security update for .NET framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. What's an offending update? How do I know if any other updates are interfering with this one? I don't have any other errors.

5. The Hound

The Hound

Go to Windows Update and click the 'check update history' link on the left side. The failed update will have an error code which will tell us more...

6. TOYMAN1952

TOYMAN1952

I tried this and got Error Code: 0x643.

7. The Hound

The Hound

This from the Microsoft KB:

"To install a security update, you must first uninstall and then reinstall the .NET Framework Version 2.0. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Uninstall all existing versions of the .NET Framework from the computer by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Additionally, uninstall any beta versions of the .NET Framework from the computer.
    2. If you are prompted, restart the computer.
    3. To install the .NET Framework 2.0, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe
    4. If you are prompted, restart the computer when the installation is complete.
    5. You will have to install the security update again after you reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0"

8. The Hound

The Hound

Please let us know how that goes--lots of folks with problems updating the .NET framework today...

9. TOYMAN1952

TOYMAN1952

I called MS Support and 2 hours later it is hopefully fixed. We did so much I cannot tell you what fixed it. But if you can't get it fixed........................

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
    Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
    support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
    clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
    update's KB number (e.g., KB928366).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice