1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Update perpetual loop on step 3 of 3 Computer is hung in loop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adez7, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adez7

adez7 Thread Starter

I had auto update for Windows Vista turned on and at some point it updated this latest update, and when I shut my computer down and restarted it I got into the same loop. I have done some research and found out that this is happening all over the place and Microsoft put out a flawed update. I found a forum with the solution, but you need to get to a command prompt. I can't get there because my HP pavilion only lets me get to one after windows boots? Well vista can't boot because of this loop, ergo I can't get to a command prompt to fix the problem! Microsoft URL for the fix is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 but none of the remedies listed on this page will work on mine. SO I am UP a CREEK for NOW. Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated. I am currently using a system utility supplied on my computer to back the whole thing up, but through a USB port it is taking forever.

Thanks.
    Don

2. Megabite

Megabite

Can you get into Safemode by tapping the F8 key immediately on startup and using arrow keys to select safemode and hit Enter key.

Did you get a Vista disc with the operating system on it?

3. adez7

adez7 Thread Starter

Hi, Every time I try to boot into safe mode it, it ends up in this same loop. Also I did not get a boot disk with this computer. I thought that I made system restore disks, but I can't locate them if I did. I did find this Microsoft Tech that made a post on things that need to happen to fix this at this URL
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tly-when/45758e6b-a6a0-4872-a711-fd9adcc99459

The problem is that one needs to get at a command prompt to delete the Pending.xml file and then start Regedit. Since I can't get the system to come up, all that is moot at this point.

I might have to remove the drive from this computer and put it into a different one. I could then delete the Pending.xml file, but I don't know how I would make the registry fixes on the second computer at that point? I would need to be able to specify the registry on my disk drive to an existing running operating system, and I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for your reply and I will try to keep watching this thread.

Don

4. Megabite

Megabite

You can borrow a vista disc that maybe will get you to command prompt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!