1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

microsoft updates install problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewalrus, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewalrus

thewalrus Thread Starter

i am having a problem with some microsoft critical updates not installing on my machine (windows xp pro sp2). they download, seem to install, the computer reboots, and then the auto update comes back and wants to download and install the same 3 updates again and again. they are KB947864, KB945553, KB948590. Read someplace that it might be my mcafee virusscan, but there is no way i can find to turn it off, save uninstalling it, to see if the updates install after that. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. thewalrus

thewalrus Thread Starter

i'm not sure this fix applies to my situation, as i don't get any error messages. the updates download, and seem to install ok- the box comes up to tellme to reboot to finish the installation, and i do. buat the next time i log onto the computer the updates icon is back in the taskbar telling me i have updates ready for installation, and its the same three each time. would it do any harm if i tried the microsoft fix anyway?

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

5. bbearren

bbearren

Go to the Windows Update site, and in the left pane click on Use Administrator Options. When you get to that page, enter the update names KB947864, KB945553, KB948590 one at a time in the search box. Select the appropriate version (xp64 or xp) and click the Add button.

Once you have all three in your download box, click the download button. You can save them to your desktop (you can delete them later after successful installation) and install them one at a time from there.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you certain these aren't the Updates that install when you shut down? have you tried shutting down your computer (many folks never do)?

7. bbearren

bbearren

It has been my experience that whenever an update requires a restart, a restart is specifically prompted.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

No there are updates that require a shutdown and they never prompt for that as opposed to a restart...but often just keep reappearing in the taskbar.

9. thewalrus

thewalrus Thread Starter

i don't know if these are "shut down" updates or not. they prompt to restart after installing. i do shut down my computer every night. sometimes the updates were waiting for me then and installed before windows shut down. they were still there the next day in my taskbar.
    anyway, i did what tufenuf suggested in the link he sent in his reply and re registered all those .dlls. then i did what bbearen suggested and downloaded and installed them individually. then i unchecked all three in the auto updates box and checked 'don't remind me about these updates again' so they won't bother me....i'm not sure i have them installed tho!!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice