Microsoft validation/Genuitity?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RockmanX34

Hi, I recenlty went to Microsoft.com to download their Anti-Spyware program. But what I got was a notice to "validate" my OS and the Hard Drive. It's a program that you run and it collects information then it tells you if your version of XP is validated. I think it's just a cheap ploy to scan for anything illegal that you have.

Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/do...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displayLang=en

pugmug

Banned
If you have nothing illegal as far as operating system goes you have nothing to fear.As I build many computers for customers and will not work on any illegal software rigs I can say this much.Microsoft bought out Giant Spyware and now call it Microsoft Antispyware.Even though it is in beta form now while MS test it,I install it on all customers builds as it is a very good and free program.

It checks that you have a legal copy of Windows. Soon, all Windows Updates will require this verification before they can be downloaded (except automatic updates) and there are incentives in the form of free software for completing the process. It is only done once, so if your copy is legal, just follow through and get it over with.

pugmug said:
If you have nothing illegal as far as operating system goes you have nothing to fear.As I build many computers for customers and will not work on any illegal software rigs I can say this much.Microsoft bought out Giant Spyware and now call it Microsoft Antispyware.Even though it is in beta form now while MS test it,I install it on all customers builds as it is a very good and free program.
For those that may want to buy an antispy program that is virtually identical to the Microsoft/Giant program, for now or when the MS one comes out of beta, Sunbelt Counterspy is available and is updated by Microsoft with the same definitions as the MS beta (soon to expire).

All indications are MS antispy will stay free and the current version is good til 12/31

MFDnSC said:
All indications are MS antispy will stay free and the current version is good til 12/31
That's good news. Not questioning the statement, but do you have a link or news release that would set our minds at ease? I'm sure a lot of us have been wondering if it would end up costing.

And it will change again. Thanks. 12/31 seems far enough away for now :D.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can just update the existing version automatically, you don't need to remove the old one first.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
RockmanX34 said:
Hi, I recenlty went to Microsoft.com to download their Anti-Spyware program. But what I got was a notice to "validate" my OS and the Hard Drive. It's a program that you run and it collects information then it tells you if your version of XP is validated. I think it's just a cheap ploy to scan for anything illegal that you have.

Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/do...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displayLang=en
Actually, it's just Microsoft tightening the screws and trying to slow down pirating of Windows, they could care less about 3rd party software installed. Why would they?

JohnWill said:
You can just update the existing version automatically, you don't need to remove the old one first.
That is not the case with many - it took a removal

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I guess that could be, both of mine upgraded in place with no apparent issues. Handy to know that it might be a problem when I'm advising someone else, thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!