1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Validation Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Liz, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

A couple of weeks ago, I got a message that my Microsoft software may not be valid and when I clicked on the message to get more info, I was taken to a site to purchase valid software Windows 7. I do not want Windows 7 and am happy with xp. I have never had a problem before and I put in the product key with no problem when installing the xp operating system. I received the software with valid cd, product key and everything was properly packaged. Has anyone else received these messages and how can I get these messages to stop popping up? I tried contacting Microsoft and they charge for tech questions. I am confused. Thanks...Liz

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you have MS Office and if so where did you get it?

3. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

No I didn't put office on this computer. I just installed xp and everything was fine until recently.

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Liz.

Run full scans of anti- virus, malware and spyware. It`s possible the machine could be infected by some nasty software that`s trying to get you to buy something you don`t need.

Jenny

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I agree! Update your anti-virus and anti-malware programs and do full system scans.

6. sepala

sepala

I agree too...First do a complete good scan, if nothing found you have to contact Microsoft.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The problem can also occur if you made an error typing the CD key when you installed XP, for example 'B' and '8' or 'G' and '6' can be confused. Run a scan using Magical Jellybean Keyfinder: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ and compare the key it shows to the one you received with your CD. Note: Typos when entering the key is not the issue if Windows activated initially but shows a problem now.

8. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

I did the scan for the cd key and the last 8 digits were missing. How can I redo the cd key without reinstalling the whole system and is that possible? I had to go through an act of congress to get this system up and running and if I need to start all over again installing drivers, framework, etc., I will go nuts. Thanks...Liz

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

10. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

It seems that the key was correct so I don't know what is going on. I thought I didn't have the last 8 digits but that is actually the proof of license number not the key number. I tried contacting Microsoft via chat and I was told there would be a charge so I didn't continue. This is crazy.

11. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Please download and run MGADiag.
    • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

12. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VX9WF-FMV4G-KTBHW
    Windows Product Key Hash: AbEQn6m9142dakigq/Nw0I4Xh6U=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4168351-23546
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {3E72B12A-ECA1-4887-A10A-E0ADCB7240D9}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{3E72B12A-ECA1-4887-A10A-E0ADCB7240D9}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-KTBHW</PKey><PID>55274-640-4168351-23546</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-527237240-1767777339-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX270 </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A04</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040517000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>CD6C3FD701848053</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1B16A:Dell Inc|10008:Microsoft Corporation|1B16A:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

It's saying the key is invalid and I didn't have this problem until I installed a new pci card and then reinstalled the xp.

13. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Looks like you do have an invalid product key. Where did you get that copy of Windows XP? On eBay?

Please download and run WVCheck.
    • Double-click WVCheck.exe.
    • As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
    • Once the program is done, copy the contents of the Notepad file as a reply.

14. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

I did get it on ebay but it was sealed and the cd is original along with the key and booklet. When I installed it previously I had no problems with validation. It was when I installed a pci card that the validation problem came up. The computer was a surplus computer from a university and everything was wiped so I started from nothing and it didn't have a pci card installed. I ran it without the pci card and the xp that I installed and the computer was fine but I wanted to update the monitor, etc. so I put the new pci card in. That's when the validation issue came up. The computer is old and I don't think it can handle running Windows 7 and I don't want to put the money into it. On the other hand, I don't want to trash it either. I guess I can live with the validation issue coming up if need be. The computer still operates, it is just annoying that the validation issue pops up. The cd and key are original and they were not tampered with so it is confusing. Everything was brand new. Thanks... Liz

15. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It may have been sealed and appeared new but the folks who sell these systems on e-Bay can do i cheaply for a reason and that reason is usually because it isn't genuine. The WGA utility is updated frequently with Product IDs which M$ have come to consider illegitmate so even though something activated properly once, it may not continue to do so.

I don't believe they charge on the Activation telephone line so if you want to take a chance it will activate again, post back for details on how to force a reacitavation and go through the telephone procedure. If you automated system refuses your request, go through to an adviser and tell them that you made a hardware change, they may - only may, of course, allow a valid PID to be issued.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice