Microsoft.VC80.CRT errors?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Woodpile

I'm not certain if I put this in the correct forum. If I was mistaken, please feel free to move it.

I've already typed this post once, and lost it, but I'll try to remember all the info. :( It's been a rough morning.

First, our computer specs as per your SysInfo utility:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: RADEON X300 Series, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 148930 MB, Free - 81389 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0U7077, , ..CN4811151G016M.
Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Security Suite Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Here's our story:

My husband logged onto our desktop computer this morning to try and print out a map from Microsoft Streets & Trips 2008. When he clicked the program icon, he received the following error message:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Of course, we tried reinstalling. Three times. Nothing changed. We tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling. Still nothing. Well, not entirely nothing. We discovered the same problem with other programs, including Microsoft Office Suite (including Outlook) and Adobe Reader. To be honest, I was afraid to try any other programs.

I googled the error message, and found it frequently associated with a SideBySide error with Microsoft.VC80.CRT. I pulled up our event viewer and found the following two SideBySide error messages over and over and over again:

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: Manifest Parse Error : An Invalid character was found in text content.

and

Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\x86_Policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_77c24773\8.0.50727.4053.policy" on line 0.

While I'm not a techno-idiot, I honestly have no idea how to proceed from here. Can anybody here supply any guidance? I'll gladly give you any further information you might need.

Thanks!
Lynn

EDITED TO ADD: Some further information -- don't know if it's related or not. We can't do a system restore. We tried, it won't take. The computer has also started doing other odd little things of late, like asking for a password every time we reboot. We don't have a password programmed, so we just click OK and it goes on with the bootup sequence.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online