1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

microsoft virtual pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pscraja, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pscraja

pscraja Thread Starter

When I clicked start button to start virtual pc, I get the following message.

One of the virtual hard disk could not be located. Please specify a new virtual hard disk. I dont know how this happened.

I have attached a snap shot of this error message to this

How to specify the virtual hard disk now?

May I request the experts to guide me?

pscraja.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you run the Virtual Disk Wizard to create a virtual hard drive? Click File, Virtual Disk Wizard. Follow the prompts for the size, resources, and settings you wan for the VPC.

It looks like you may be installing Windows 2003 Server. I've not worked with Server OSs in VPC, so you may have to look into that a bit. Do you have enough resources on the "host" computer to allocate the necessary memory and processing power to a virtual server?

Most importantly, do you have the CDs to install Windows Server 2003? Can't get too far without them.

3. pscraja

pscraja Thread Starter

I have only installed win xp sp3. It was working fine for a couple of days. I added a couple of programs such as Fast stone capture to capture the images (such as the one I had attached in my lasts post) so that I can use it for getting help in trouble-shooting virtual PC.

After adding them in the desktop of the virtual pc, I working on that. When I closed it and reopened, I got this message. Help me to facilitate linking the virtual hard disk which is present. I have attached the snapshot of virtual PC in which you can see the vhd file in the virtual hard disk folder in the virtual pc.

pscraja.

Attached Files:

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The picture shows that a VHD file exists, but is it linked to the virtual machine? The size doesn't show the units, but unless that's 133GB, it isn't big enough to contain an OS.

6. pscraja

pscraja Thread Starter

As you rightly said, it is there but not linked. The size is about 1gb. How to link it to virtual pc?

If I have a vhd file downloaded, will it be possible to link it. If so How?

pscraja.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You simply browse to the file in the virtual machine Hard Drive setting. I'm missing something. This worked fine up until a point? Yes, you can "link" to a downloaded VHD file. It's just a virtual hard drive. Create a virtual machine and select that file for the hard drive.

8. pscraja

pscraja Thread Starter

Thank you. I will try it.

pscraja

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!