1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Virus Emails

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lschul, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Any idea when these emails saying they are from Microsoft are going to stop? I must get 30 virus-laden emails aday. Its really starting to make me mad! Norton catches them all but I have to click on the quarantine before I can get my emails, its a pain. I want these to stop, any ideas?

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

There are only two sure-fire ways of stopping it. The first is to get the entire world to stop running the files that come in the emails, or to stop using the internet. As there are a lot more stupid folk than sensible, I'm afraid the latter is the only real option.

Sorry :(

3. mattmill

mattmill

How about a filtering system? Has anyone found a common thread that can be used to filter these out? There seems to be just enough variations to keep changing the filters.

matt

4. Red Boy

Red Boy

Ischul, have you considered Mailwasher Pro? I have -- fortunately -- never received one of these Microsoft virus e-mails. But I do have Mailwasher Pro. This program permits me to view the contents of any suspicious looking e-mails on the server. If I don't like what I see, I delete from the server or bounce back to the sender. I find this to be an excellent program and has saved me some potentially embarrassing and troubling experiences. Would this program not be of assistance? Mailwasher Pro is a favorite of many who use TSG. If you are not familiar with the program and would like its web site, post back and I'll be happy to provide.

Red Boy;)

5. Corrosive

Corrosive

It still doesn't do anything about stopping these guys sending them though. A fliter won't work for this particular strain as it uses randomly forged addresses each time, and the spammers are getting cleverer and bouncing doesn't work as well (if at all).

6. Red Boy

Red Boy

You are correct, Corrosive, there is probably nothing that can be done to prevent these miscreants from sending these nasties. So one just has to attempt to do what one can to minimize the discomfort and inconvenience they cause. And they are causing discomfort and inconvenience to Ischul. And it would seem to me that he can ameliorate same by identifying and deleting from the server, rather than going through the exercise of having Norton catch and quarantine before he can get his e-mails. And while it is true that the bounce back feature on Mailwasher Pro may not always have the desired effect, when bouncing back, you also delete so you avoid the prospect of this malicious e-mail getting past Norton. In my judgment, Mailwasher Pro affords you another layer of protection. But you are certainly correct: Nothing is going to stop these immature rascals from engaging in their puerile mischief. All we can do is play defense.

Red Boy

7. Cinders

Cinders

I have Outlook Express and have created a mail rule to delete any mail that contains,

'Microsft 2003 Update' in the text body
    and
    'ms' and .vbs .bat .exe .pif .scr attachment files in the address

I did this four or five days ago and have not received any more since.

(fingers tightly crossed!!)

Regards

Cinders.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice