Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I just got this installed on my computer today with the latest round of security updates. I've searched the web a bit and can't find how to actually launch and use this thing. I can't find any shortcuts in the Start Menu, but I did find some EXE's in the SYSTEM32 folder.

This has got to be really easy, and I appreciate any help you guys have for me.

Microsoft bundles the MSRT with its monthly update package. It runs by itself when you restart after updating, removes specific malware if it finds any, and then disappears. On the 15th of next month, you will probably get September's version. On your Automatic Updates dialog, there should be a small window at the bottom with a brief description of the update and a link to the appropriate Microsoft Web page. Clicking on this link will open a page with more detailed information.

If you want to download and run the MSRT yourself, go into Control Panel--->Security Center and click "Get the latest security information..." It will take you here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
You can download and run the tool from this page anytime.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!