1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We ar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fpress, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fpress

fpress Thread Starter

Everytime I start (XP) I get the captioned message and when I try to do a search the pane comes up empty.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Perhaps disabling the "Indexer," at least temporarily, would solve the problem. Below are instructions recently posted here at TSG that I saved. I disabled and have seen no change in the speed with which a search is made.

{redoak}

Stopping "Indexing" in "XP"- TSG

Turn off indexing and speed up Windows XP

If you don't use Windows XP's built-in search often (like every day), disabling indexing can
    significantly speed up your PC.

By default Windows XP indexes files on your hard drive and stores them in memory to speed up
    its' built-in search. But if you rarely use Windows search, turn off indexing to free up memory and
    CPU horsepower for the files and applications you actually do use. A few simple how-to steps
    after the jump.

To turn off indexing:

1. Open up "My Computer."
    2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
    3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
    4. Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to
    complete.

To disable the indexing service:

1. In the "Start" menu, choose "Run."
    2. Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
    3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it.
    4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
    5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."

Windows search will still work if you perform these steps, but it will work more slowly than if
    indexing was enabled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice