1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Windows Service Pack 2 Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmurfitt, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

Hi,

Ever since I have installed Windows XP service pack 2, I have noticed my PC keeps freezing for several minutes every now and then, and the svchost.exe is at 99% on the task manager. If I end the svchost.exe process, the computer instantly unfreezes. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to overcome it?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Uninstall SP2 via Add/remove programs in the control panel and see if the problems persist.

SP2 has been causing a lot of issues for some people, probably best to wait until the bugs have been ironed out before installing it again.

3. dai

dai

i have a program called code stuff starter,when you click the processes tab,then schroll down to the svhost and click on it to highlight,in the box down the bottom it lists what is using that certain svhost,so you can tell what is causing the problem.
    which is probably a program that needs updating
    it is freeware and you can d/l it here
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
    there is little or nothing wrong with sp2,the problems usually are programs and utilities that need an update to comply with it,ms has a list of identified ones here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp
    uninstalling and hoping the problem will go away is not going to help they will still be there when you try again,might as well sought them now

4. ratchet

ratchet

Which svchost.exe is it that you end process on?

I have 4 listed Task Manager.

5. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

how can I distinguish between them? They all have the same name...

6. ratchet

ratchet

7. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

You assumed correctly! When I end the task, the program starts responding again! I have disabled system restore to try and stop this, but I shouldn't have to. I have system restore running on other machines, and they don't have this problem. Any more ideas...?

8. ratchet

ratchet

You might check and adjust your virtual memory to 1.5 x the amount of Ram installed.

How much Ram is the Machine running?

Or consider Evileye's suggestion.

9. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

The machine is running with 512MB RAM, and the paging file is 1500MB. Strange thing is though, this is the only machine suffering the problem with SP2. How come?

10. ratchet

ratchet

One of how many?

If they are not all the same it is not reasonable to expect the same perfomance from every machine.

There are just to many variables Processor Speed, Front Side Bus, Memory types....

11. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

True. But I believe this is a software issue. The other machines are of simular spec. But the machine I am on is a P4 with 512mb RAM, I would have thought that is powerful enough for basic office work.

12. ratchet

ratchet

In that case I would open Task Manager go to Proceses then View/ Select Columns select all and print screen on two machines and compare the two.

Perhaps you will be able to locate the problem process.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice