1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft windows telling me my hard drive will fail

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrivatePC, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Something keeps popping up telling me my hard drive will fail.
    "Microsoft windows" your hard drive will fail please replace hard drive"
    I have had my computer for years and its been saying that for a long time and it hasnt happend yet. I blocked it from popping up before, but now that I reformatted my computer its happening again. How do I keep this from popping up?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Replace the hard drive.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

The hard drive is not failing. I checked admin settings and theres no bad sectors or anything like that. I have had this for years after it told me it was going to fail. But the point is, I fixed it from popping up BEFORE i formatted, but now sense I formatted back to start ( ya thats right restarted from scratch ) its telling me again.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Exactly how old is that computer?

Is it a desktop or a laptop/notebook?

--------------------------------------------------------

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

My advice, Don't keep anything important on that computer (y)

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Formatting doesn't fix a hard drive. I don't know what makes people think it does.

Your hard drive will work perfectly fine right up to the minute it doesn't. Then you'll lose whatever data you added since your last backup.

I suggest you replace the drive.

8. freakyautumn

freakyautumn

Your hard drive WILL FAIL, and reformatting with the standard Windows FAT32 will not get rid of that pop-up message. If you want to keep your drive, you need a different reformatting system to get rid of the message, however, I would either replace the drive, or back up your files.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Since you state the message has been popping up for quite awhile, have you checked the drive manufacturers website to see if there is a firmware update for the drive?

If it happens to be a Seagate drive, a couple of years ago Seagate sold quite a number of drives that needed firmware updates.

10. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

Are you saying you want a way to stop the pop-up and that is your only concern?

Seems everyone wants you to backup your files and get a new harddisk lol

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is your suggestion when Windows gives a hard drive failure warning? :rolleyes:

12. adam3088

adam3088

Shouldnt be the Seagate problem, if that kicked in he'd not even be able to access it.
    Got a 7200.11 myself, didnt find out about the fault until it was too late and had to send it off to Amsterdam to be flashed..

13. wolfworx

wolfworx

Hard drives are pretty inexpensive, especially 150 GB or smaller. Clone the problem drive and replace it.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Not right now with the shortage.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice