1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Windows Whistler OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmurfitt, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

Does anyone know anything about Microsoft Windows Whistler?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Windows Whistler is the codename for the first joint business/consumer version of Windows built on the Windows 2000 OS kernel for stability and reliability. To bring the reliability of Windows 2000 to consumers as soon as possible and address the feedback from enterprise customers, Microsoft planned a phased release of Windows XP beginning with the desktop products and followed by the server versions. Windows XP is their first step in the Microsoft .Net vision.

3. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

4. Dan O

Dan O

You asked a question, I answered it, and you're welcome.

5. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

only klidding mate, cheers for ya help.

6. Tushman

Tushman Banned

In addition to what Dan O said, Win XP (formerly known as codename "Whistler") is the first OS by M$ that converges the W2K, Win NT, and Win9.x code bases. Furthermore, the intial release is a 32-bit OS but M$ plans to release a subsequent 64-bit OS version designed to run on Pentium's Itantium processor.

On the subject of Win XP, i don't run it. But at the several computer forums i participate, i notice one overwhelming pattern of concern. Time after time, i see so many postings with people having various on their system after SP 1 has been installed.

I have been using W2k (SP3) for the past 2-3 years and it's performed virtuously flawlessly. It's a personal thing, but i wouldn't want XP on my computer - i'm looking for Longhorn to be released. That will most likely be my next upgrade.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice