1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word 2002 and Windows 7 64-bit Issues

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by flook1e, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flook1e

flook1e Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother you with this. I've been searching all day for a fix but has no success at all.

I've got Office 2002 installed on my new system. Previously had Office 2000 and things worked fine.

Since the install, Microsoft Word will not open .doc files when double-clicking on them from their file locations.

In fact, when I try to select Winword from the list of applications to use when attempting to open the file, it doesn't work at all. For some reason it will not come up in the recommended programs list.

The only documents that it will open with no problem are .rtf, which will open upon double-clicking.

However, when I open Word from the start menu (which works fine) I am then able to open the .doc documents from there -- which is infuriating!

Thank you for reading, and I'm hoping someone will have a good idea whats wrong.

Thanks again.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Make sure you have all the updates from Microsoft for your version of Word/Office. I will tell you, however, that even the 2003 version of MS Office can be a little glitchy with Windows 7. You probably should consider either switching to the free OpenOffice.org product which does a great job in Windows 7 OR lay out the $$ for MS Office 2007. I think the new Office 2010 is close enough to release that if you buy 2007 now, you will get a free upgrade to 2010, but check me on that.

I really like OpenOffice on my desktop, or better yet, I use Google Docs and Zoho Docs more and more which both read and write MS Office formats...online from ANY computer for FREE.

Good luck.

3. flook1e

flook1e Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have to stick with Word as I'm at University - I'm used to the software, and I use Referencing software with it.

Just to note - I just installed Word 2007 on my computer after a friend offered me to try and it is still unable to open .doc files directly (without going into the program and opening the file). I haave now removed it and have reinstalled 2002.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

4. helpmerick

helpmerick

I understand. Here's a good article on how to change the file associations in Windows 7: http://www.ehow.com/how_5702362_change-file-associations-windows-7.html

Try this:

1. Make sure Microsoft Word is NOT open
    2. Navigate to a .doc file and use the instructions in the article above to change the .doc association to WordPad.
    3. Try opening a few .doc files by double-clicking on them.
    4. If they open fine with WordPad, restart your computer
    5. When computer restarts, start at Step 2 in this short list, and redo the association back to Word.

Let me know how it works.

Also, if still having a problem, can you drag a word document over the Word icon and have it open that way? If the above doesn't work, this might be the quickest work-around for you.;

Good luck.

5. flook1e

flook1e Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for your latest reply!

I have been through that process before and when I choose WINWORD (the Word application), it does not appear in the "Recommended Programs" or the "Other Programs". That's my problem - it doesn't want to use Word to open the files. However, when I'm already in Word, I can (which is aggrivating :p).

Word is located in the C: Program files (x86) - Microsoft Office - Office20 - WINWORD
    When I open the program directly by clicking on the WINWARD icon, or any of the Word shortcuts, it does work. It's just when I'm trying to associate the .doc files with Word which is not working - I click ok when trying to do this and nothing happens.

Also, I am unable to open the documents by your method (there is just a red cross not allowing me to do it).

Thanks for your help so far, it is much appreciated.

6. helpmerick

helpmerick

You are welcome. Tough and strange problem...did the docs open with WordPad??

7. flook1e

flook1e Thread Starter

The documents do open, but they are all in the wrong text and random symbols appear around the page. So it looks totally different.

8. flook1e

flook1e Thread Starter

Also, when trying to open a .doc file when on the internet via Mozilla, I get the following message:

C:\Users\.......\AppData\Local\Temp\filename.doc could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

Anyone have any ideas please?

9. flook1e

flook1e Thread Starter

Update: Just managed to change the file association of Mozilla to Word successfully. Now the documents will open.

Just confused why documents wont open directly now...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice