1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word 2003: "The file ____ is not available"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lily0603, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lily0603

Lily0603 Thread Starter

Would someone PLEASE help me figure my issue out. I am at a loss as to what I did on my laptop for Microsoft Word to just stop working. This is what's going on:
    1. I open up Word; 2. I go to my documents & click on the doc I want to open; 3. I get the pop-up that states, for example, "The file Amer Hist Doc 3 is not available".

If I send the doc as an attachment in my email & then open it on another computer, it comes up fine. It just won't work on my laptop.

Did I accidently hit someone to make Word do this all of the sudden?? Do I just need to un-install Microsoft Office & then reinstall??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lily

2. gurutech

gurutech

Try going to your Docs folder and double-clicking on the Word doc itself, without opening up Word. If MS Word opens up, with your document, then you should be OK. If another application opens up (such as Wordpad or Notepad), then you will need to re-associate *.DOC with MS Word.

If nothing opens up, then you may need to run a "Detect and Repair" from within Word, off the Help Menu.

3. Lily0603

Lily0603 Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response. I really appreciate it.

Ok, so first I went in to My Documents & double clicked on a file. Unfortunately I got the same error (file not available).

Then I ran detect and repair. It successfully reinstalled. I even restarted my computer when it was done, but I still am receiving the same error.

I forgot to include another error I get. Maybe this will help explain what's going on: When I go to exit out of Word another box pops up that says "the file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?". What the heck is the "Normal" file??

It's just weird that one second Word was working fine & then all of the sudden it's not. I really do appreciate all your help. Thanks again!

Lily

4. sIRCuit

sIRCuit

Lily....
    did you ever find a solution to your Word problem....I have the very same one (won't open docs and gave that "normal" message)

5. Augie65

Augie65

6. sIRCuit

sIRCuit

Actually, I don't use Norton. I already read the other article but nothing of any value there.

7. sIRCuit

sIRCuit

Actually, I don't use Norton. I already read the other article but nothing of any value there.

8. JustJudy

JustJudy

I just had this problem, but it was with Excel. My solution was to uninstall McAfee Virus Scan version 8.0 and install the older 7.1 version. That solved it. Any setting changes I made in the 8.0 version didn't solve it, nor did updating. So had to go back a step. I guess sometimes new isn't always better.
    Good luck!

9. chaosz

chaosz

Hi,

this seems to be a problem with AV software and Vista.

i had the same issue and uninstalling AVG AV solved the issue.

you may reinstall it (though i didn't) - without the office plug-in
    i just stuck with avast! AV

R

10. gurutech

gurutech

Normal.Dot is the default template for MS Word. If it's asking you to save it, then you might have a virus.

Do a search for "normal.dot" (make sure you search hidden and system folders!) and DELETE any copy of this file you find. MS Word will recreate this file the next time you open it.

11. dreb

dreb

Chaosz's fix worked for me.

I uninstalled my Antivirus software (AVG) and was immediately able to open up my word files. I was previously receiving the same errors as the OP.
    Namely, "the [file name] is not available" error, and the also the prompt to save global template normal.dot.

uninstalling AVG solved both these problems.

12. gurutech

gurutech

Have you tried reinstalling AVG (or another AV program?) It may have just been a corrupted AV installation.

13. dreb

dreb

I haven't tried reinstalling AVG (or any other AV software).

The problem suddenly cropped up though, after months of working fine with AVG installed, so i'm not sure if it was a faulty installation. Perhaps a corrupted update or something. I'll reinstall, re-patch, and let you know.

14. Lucysmith

Lucysmith

if it is not working then try this either open it from the exact location where you saved it or you can do one more and easy thing, make a search on search bar in windows, type your filename if youwill find it then try to open it, if both these options will not work then reinstall word

camcorder batteries

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice