1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word 97 document not opening

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by marionette5, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marionette5

marionette5 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I've been having some issues with Word 97 lately and I'm absolutely stumped. Any help would be wonderful...

Twice now, I've had Word 97 tell me that it cannot open select documents; a few weeks ago I tried to open a doc and it gave me this message:

Word cannot open the document.
    Try one or more of the following:
    * On the File menu, click Open to open the document.
    * Make sure the file has a .DOC extension

I did both; it would not open from the File menu and it DID have a .doc extension. I tried everything I could think of to get it back, including moving it to another computer and trying to open in there, renaming the document, everything. The closest I got to getting it back was opening it in WordPad - even then, it ate certain paragraphs up and lost the last page completely.

After having no luck at getting it back, I decided that since the document was only 3 pages long, I could stand to retype it and deleted the document. I had no problems opening up any of my many other documents; and so I figured, somehow that one file got corrupted and I just needed to cut it as a loss.

But now, it has happened again with another, much longer document. Again, I can get some of it back with WordPad/RTF, but not all of it. As before, all other documents are fine and openable, just not this one. I have scanned for viruses and the like - my computer seems to be clean. I have moved all my other documents to a removable flash drive so that they don't get "eaten", as I'm calling it.

My operating system is Windows Vista, though I am using Word 97 on it. I have gone into the hard drive and accessed the properties of the unopenable file and compared them with one that is still able to be opened - what i have found is that, of the four tabs in properties (General, Security, Custom, Detail), the file is missing Custom, as well as substantial amounts of info on the Details page (Description, Origin, and Content are pretty much blank, with only File containing info). I don't know if this helps you or not.

I'm not the dumbest person when it comes to computers, but I'm not overly intelligent about them either. Please, if you know what's causing the problem, even if you have a vague idea, let me know! If you know how to get my document back, PLEASE tell me, I would be so happy! Thank y'all so much!!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It strongly suggests that your problems stem from using Word 97 on Vista.

It is not a recommended activity to do so and many others have problems with trying to operate Office 97 on Vista.

3. marionette5

marionette5 Thread Starter

Yes, I kinda figured that the two systems didn't get along...

Do you know if there's any way to get the document to open?

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice