1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft WORD - Can't get word on left side to space right

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hotskates, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Hard to explain but here goes:

When I have a sentence that I want to move to the middle of the page, I place the curser to the left of the word and try to push it right by hitting the space bar and nothing happens.

This is only when the word is all the way to the left of the page.

Is there some type of formatting that would allow this to be free so that I can push words forward??

2. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Never Mind -----I solved my own problem!!!
    I just used the tab key, duh???
    Should have through that one through b-4 posting:)

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Hey Skates,

You should be able to do what you said in the first place. I wonder why it isn't working.

If you type in characters in front of the word - it moves - but spaces it doesn't ?

- Castleheart

... and I assume you know that if you want the word in the middle of the page you can merely use the CENTER button to get it there. Obviously though if you have several things on the line spaced differently, that is not an option.

4. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

The version 2000 is the one I'm using now. And you're right, it won't move forward at all unless I tab. I checked to see if it does the same on my old version of "Word" (98)and it works fine there.

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I use W2000 and it works.
    Is this a beginning of the line thing or anywhere in the line?
    Can you go between word one and two and add spaces?
    You should be able to add them anywhere.

:confused: C

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Yes the beginning of a line thing. Doesn't matter if its the first line of the paragraph or the middle line. It does space forward from the next word - and even after the first letter, for example if it was the word "The" I can't move forward the "T", but I can move forward the "h". Unless I tab liike I said before and then move it back that way, which is a pain, because it should be simplier.

7. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Well, i looked over OPTIONS and nothing jumped out at me as to a selection to uncheck. Perhaps California passed Proposition 1307 - which prohibits adding spaces to the beginning of existing lines without permission? :D

Well maybe someone knows if it is a variable that may be changed. Dreamboat would have piped in already if she knew of one. If there isn't a setting and it is a glitch in loading the program - you may be stuck. Let's hope not.

Someone reading this later might hepya!

- Castleheart

and this won't help solve your problem but it might shed light on it for someone and I am curious.

1) when you tab once and move the word - can you then add spaces at that point?
    2) if so - and you then delete the TAB - can you then go to the front of the line and add more spaces?
    3)If you go tween the T and H in THE - then backspace - can you then add spaces?
    4)If you go tween the T and H in THE - then backarrow - can you then add spaces?
    5)if you select the word THE and several blank spaces preceding it and move them to the beginning of the line - can you then add spaces?

but feel free not to answer the above - I was just tinking outloud!

;)

8. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, fortunately, this problem is one I can live with:) And, like I said, there is a way around it. TTFN

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice