1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word Compatibility

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by johnvt519, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnvt519

johnvt519 Thread Starter

How can I send email attachments (documents) composed in Microsoft Works Word Processor so that they will be formatted correctly when viewed by recipients using Microsoft Word? I’ve tried saving them as .wps, .doc, and .docx file extensions before sending, yet they are still incorrectly formatted when viewed by people using MS Word. Short of purchasing the Microsoft Word software, is there a solution that would rectify this problem using what already exists on this particular operating system (Vista Home Edition)?

2. raybro

raybro

You might try Open Office. Free download and can do just about everything MS office can do. The only limitation I've seen so far is although you can open a *.docx document, you cannot save into a *.docx extension. You can, however, create or save a document with a *.doc extension.

Raybro

3. johnvt519

johnvt519 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. The problem is, when it’s viewed by recipients, the margins, spacing, and bullets are a bit scrambled. I do have Open Office Org, but I’ve found that it’s only useful for viewing documents sent to me that are in MS Word format. Also, Office Org is not very user-friendly when it comes to composing documents using bulleted lists and things. Have you any other suggestions?

4. Hughv

Hughv

Try the latest version of Open Office or use an online word processor like Google Docs or Office Live.
    http://www.officelive.com/en-us/
    Docs saved as text or rtf should translate OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice