1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word Compatibility

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by johnvt519, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvt519

johnvt519 Thread Starter

How can I send email attachments (documents) composed in Microsoft Works Word Processor so that they will be formatted correctly when viewed by recipients using Microsoft Word? I’ve tried saving them as .wps, .doc, and .docx file extensions before sending, yet they are still incorrectly formatted when viewed by people using MS Word. Short of purchasing the Microsoft Word software, is there a solution that would rectify this problem using what already exists on this particular operating system (Vista Home Edition)?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It depends upon how complex the formatting is that you're trying to use.

One thing that might be worth your while investigating is downloading the free OpenOffice.org Office Suite. It can save as microsoft office files (.doc, ppt, etc), though not having used Works I can't say how well it keeps its formatting in comparison to works.
    The more interesting point however is that OOo has an export as PDF function. So as long as the person you're sending it to doesn't then need to modify the page(and has adobe reader or similar which just about everyone does) the formatting of the PDF will be exactly as it is on your computer.

3. johnvt519

johnvt519 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. My documents aren’t that complex. It’s just a 3 page resume packet containing a cover letter, resume, and reference page. The problem is, when it’s viewed by recipients, the margins, spacing, and bullets are a bit scrambled. I do have Open Office Org, but I’ve found that it’s only useful for viewing documents sent to me that are in MS Word format. Office Org is not very user-friendly when it comes to composing documents using bulleted lists and things. Saving as a PDF was an excellent idea; I only wish Works Processor had that option. Have you any other suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice