1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word/ Copying Open Files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Christechnical, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christechnical

Christechnical Thread Starter

Here is the thing: At my work, we have a shared document with a number of documents that about 15 people have to access. If one person is in the document, a message comes up that it is being used by another user and to press ok if we would like to make a copy. After hitting ok, the copy comes up. This does not result in a copy of the actual document after we close out.
    To my point, recently, a number of PCs were upgraded. They are no longer able to make copies or to Read Only documents.
    Tech support has been called a number of times, but they are not making any progress.
    Does anyone have any ideas????
    I appreciate your help!

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

I'm confused. Are you saying that when you are asked by word if you would like a copy of a document that is being used by another, it won't let you? If not, what does it say? Does it give you any error message. Can you be more specific.

3. RandyG

RandyG

It does open a copy, but Microsoft saves them, usually in the Temp folder, and they have fun names like fht78mkl.doc, unless you Save AS, possibly as "nameofdocument2.doc"

If the above is not the case, then definitely explain more, but regardless, explain what the systems were upgraded from, and what they are now. What the messages are, etc!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/37765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice