1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word file size exploding!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by erikwc, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikwc

erikwc Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Here's my problem: I'm working with a ~230 page Microsoft Word document that mysteriously seems to double in size every few days (or edits). The first draft of the nearly complete document was 2.5mb. After a few days of editing it shot up to 5mb. Then the same thing happened and it hit 12mb. Yesterday if happened again and reached 24mb, and is becoming unmanagable on my machine.

Fast Saves is turned off.
    Track Changes is turned off.
    Picture Preview is turned off.
    Embed Fonts is turned off - BUT when I ftp the file over to a unix machine and view it using vi I do see a LOT of stuff like, "a b c d ..." where each character is on a single line. In fact that seems to be the bulk of the extra stuff...

I searched the forums and tried the cut and paste special / as a picture trick on all ~100 figures in the document, but the file size is still 24mb. The figures are all black and white line drawings inserted from .eps files without previews.

Now, when I select all, cut and then paste into a new document, the new file is back down to 2.6mb! However, I'm not happy with this solution because I lose some of my formatting. Even if I copy my styles over using the style organizer it still comes out slightly different in terms of the line spacing. The new document seems to have slightly larger line spacing, and consequently it winds up being 3 pages longer. Margins are the same in both documents. But that's an entirely different question anyway...

Anyone have any ideas why my file is getting so big?

Thanks in advance!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi erikwc. Welcome to TSG.

1. Saving file as a lesser version?
    2. When copying to new, important point is NOT to select the paragraph returns that reside at the end of the document.
    3. Drawing objects? If so, is each set (drawing) grouped into one object?
    4. Save file to a new name?
    5. Copy to new doc, and then copy styles from original, or perhaps your styles are not properly updated in existing doc. If not using styles--do so, or it has to store all the information about each formatting you use.
    6. If you winzip it, how well does it compress?
    7. I'll be happy to take a look at it. Email to [email protected] (preferably zipped, confidences kept)
    8. Version of Word?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice