Microsoft Word Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Beakey

Everytime I open a Microsoft Word document it says the file is being used by "Dino Bland" (which is the name I put on my computer) and asks if I want to make a copy.

Can I get rid of this?

It started happening after I copied the text from some Works documents and pasted them into Word and saved them that way.

Try this:
With Word and any email program that uses Word as text editor closed, run a search for file
Normal.dot. This is a word templete and a new one will be created when you restart Word.
Delete any you find, but leave them in the recycle bin. Open Word and see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't, open the recycle bin and restore the normal.dot files.

Beakey

I did have one file titled Normal.dot and I deleted it but it didn't take care of the problem.
When I went to restore the file, it asked me if I wanted to replace the current one, even though there only showed one in the search.
I don't know if that's any help, but, either way, it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

It's not the biggest deal but, y'know...it's just one of those annoying things.

Any other ideas? If not, no big worries. Just something I'd like to take care of if it's possible and not any trouble on your end.

Like I said, Word just created a new templete when it restarted. I don't have any other ideas why you are having your problem. How was the document saved, as a Works document(.wps) or as a Word document(.doc)? Maybe someone else has an idea, sorry.

Start by cleaning up the temp folder, as this can cause the problem.

Close all open programs.

Start-Run, and type into the Run box:

%temp%

and press enter.

Delete everything in there.

Be nice to know what version of Word and what version of Windows though, otherwise its a lot of guessing.

Beakey

Sorry, I forgot to mention that.
I have Windows XP and Microsoft Word 97 Edition.

I am at work right now but I will try your steps as soon as I get home tonight.
I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you!

Beakey

Okay, I deleted everything in the %temp% folder but it's still happening.
Weird, crazy stuff!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts