1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word Works

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by LARRY JERNIGAN, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LARRY JERNIGAN

LARRY JERNIGAN Thread Starter

MY HP PAVILLION 7920CAME WITH MICRO SOFT WORD WORKS AND I HAVE UPGRADED TO XP.

PROBLEM : WITH MY OLD PC AND WORD PERFECT I COULD EASILY SHRINK A DOCUMENT TO FIT. FOR EXAMPLE FROM A PAGE AND 1/4 TO ONE PAGE OR 3 PAGES TO 2 PAGES, ETC. ONCE I THOUGHT I FOUND HOW TO DO IT IN MS WORD, BUT I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING AND TRYING EVERYTHING TO NO AVAIL. MAYBE IT DOESN'T SHRINK DOC'S IN THIS MANAGER. I MISS IT. IT MUST BE THERE!

2. LARRY JERNIGAN

TO MAKE MY EARLIER MESSAGE MORE CLEAR: I AM HAVING TROULBE SHRINKING A DOCUMENT TO FIT 1 PAGE FROM 2 OR 2 PAGES FROM 3. WORD PERFECT WAS EASY, BUT I CAN'T FIND IT IN MICROSOFT WORD WORKS.

3. califoh

califoh

If you are talking about Microsoft Word, That option is in file, print preview.

4. LARRY JERNIGAN

I GUESS I AM A DUMMY 101. IN PRINT TO PREVIEW I CAN'T FIND HOW TO SHRINK TO FIT. THAT'S WHERE I THOUGHT IT WAS ALSO. IT'S THERE I AM JUST HAVING A MENTAL BLOCK. CAN YOU HELP SOME MORE.

THANKS

5. TechChick

TechChick

I've never heard of a "shrink to fit" function that would cram three pages of text into one page. The font would be so small I don't see how you could read it. Are you maybe referring to the ability to print more than one page on a single sheet of paper?

6. LARRY JERNIGAN

TO TECH CHICK OR ANYONE:

THE SHRINK TO FIT FEATURE DOESN'T SHRINK 3 PAGES TO 1 , BUT 2 PAGES (IF A LITTLE OVER) TO 1 OR 3 PAGES IF THE 3RD IS A LITTLE OVER TO 2 PAGES. IF IT IS IN FILE AND PRINT PREVIEW, I AM NOT SEEING THE FEATURE. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, MAYBE IT IS NOT THERE. I TRIED TO FIND A MICROSOFT WEB SITE FOR QUESTIONS BUT SO FAR I HAVEN'T FOUND IT. MAYBE YOU KNOW THE SITE.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR.

LARRY

7. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Larry:

Perhaps you didn't go far enough in your search. Click on File/Print Preview. Now you have a NEW tool bar at the top to choose from, and one of the icons is Shrink to Fit. Good luck.
    :)

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I suspect that Larry is using not the *real* Word, but Works' version of Word. If that's true, a lot of features of the *real* Word are not in there.

This IS the place to ask, Larry. :)

Could you do us a favor, tho, and turn your caps lock off? Typing in all caps on the internet is like *yelling*. And it is harder to read (that is a fact--not just Dreamy BSing you).

Anyway, if you hit Help-About and it says Microsoft Works and NOT Microsoft Word, then you're running Works' version of Word, which is less *feature-full*.

So try this instead.

Hit Ctrl-a to select your entire document or just highlight/select the *bulk* of your text--the main part. Now, in the font size dropdown box at the top, put a different font. For instance, if your font says 12 pt, click inside that box and TYPE IN 11.5 and hit enter. This could pull your document in just enough.

You can also try changing the margins slightly. If your page margins are, for instance, 1.25 for the left and right (which I personally think is too large), change them both to 1". That should also give you more room on one page.

A combination of both of these *could* reduce 1-1/2 pages to just about 1 page.

The best of luck with it.

And I am . . .

9. LARRY JERNIGAN

Thanks for your help, Dreamboat. I highlited the document and changed the font size and that will work. I appreciate the help and the site.

Larry

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Very cool, Larry!

Keep comin' back.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice